Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Overgrown Street

Hey everyone!

I wanted to post up a small project I finished recently for school, I graduate this April so I'm really trying to get all my work together for a reel. Anyways I have about a month before I finish so I have some time to do a little revision If needed.

The environment was inspired by Last of us and Enslaved I really love the feeling of the environment being taken back by nature so I wanted to give it a shot.

If you see anything that I could add or fix or if you want to see anything more in detail I would love to hear, I appreciate any and all crits.:poly121:

OvergrownEnvironment.JPG

OvergrownEnvironment2.JPG

OvergrownEnvironment3.JPG

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I really like it! One thing bothers me from a design standpoint, there's a lot of really big roots there. I'm not an expert on plants, but I would expect such roots to be from some sort of massive tree or other sort of thing. As it is I see huge roots, but no plants I imagine would need them.

If I saw a really massive tree somewhere, I'd like it that much more.
  • TimPogson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the one thing when I was creating the environment and making the roots I thought It might be OK to show the roots going into the ground and it would be enough. Creating a tree would be super sweet if I have time I would love to make the tree that was large enough for the roots to make sense. I was even thinking of doing the tree kind of like the one in this enslaved picture.

The placement of the tree I'm not to sure of because if I place it in the middle wouldn't it block all the stuff on the bottom and kinda take away from some depth?

D.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks cool, but im not sure the roots going from window to window are that practical :P
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    TimPogson wrote: »
    That's the one thing when I was creating the environment and making the roots I thought It might be OK to show the roots going into the ground and it would be enough. Creating a tree would be super sweet if I have time I would love to make the tree that was large enough for the roots to make sense. I was even thinking of doing the tree kind of like the one in this enslaved picture.

The placement of the tree I'm not to sure of because if I place it in the middle wouldn't it block all the stuff on the bottom and kinda take away from some depth?

I think it depends on exactly how big this tree is going to be, if it's going to be like, the size of a building or bigger I'd think just having it somewhere in the background could even be enough to make it feel complete and could get you some really cool shots. I think something a slight bit bigger than the one in the picture you linked would also work if it's to be on top of a building.

I wish I could recommend more specifics from a technical standpoint on how exactly it would be best to achieve things, but I'm not a 3D artist, so I only know enough to understand what other people are talking about. :poly142:
  • TimPogson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the huge tree in the background, I think that would be really cool, almost showing this huge tree overshadowing the buildings in-front. If I have time I will definitely do it thanks for pointing it out. :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i don't like the green tint at all.
    other than that it looks very nice.

roots don't bother me that much, except that one long root on the building on the right side. it seems to go outside and inside back and forth which doesn't feel convincing.

the scene could use some interesting object to let eyes focus on it - like a fountain, statue or something less cliche.
    all buildings are pretty similar so without any specific point to look at the modularity is easily noticable.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    For the tree, I think you could make a giant tree in the middle of the city, or if not somewhere in the back. Than have the shadows covering the city. It'll be pretty crazy