Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment City 13 (modular buildings)

Hi!

A while back I started to make this scene and i just got all the stuff (almost) inside UDK. I am currently working on the lighting and getting the mood right. Hopefully i will get some rain and wind going too. It would be great if anyone got any tips on how i can make the scene better since I am a fairly new to using UDK.

img02b.jpg

img01t.jpg

img03qt.jpg

Replies

• St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Nice to see this piece up here! I havent seen it in night-light before, and i like what you did with the emissive maps on the windows.

A few tips:
    You've got a few different light sources, but all of them are emitting light in the exact same yellowish color. Id recommend varying their hue some. Perhaps making the streetlights either light blue or really saturated orange.

I also think you could push the contrast a bit further. Right now, your streetlights are very week, in fact, it seems like the windows are the main light source in the scene. I think cranking those up some, so that you get some brighter areas on the asphalt would be nice.

The most interesting part of this scene, the part that tells the story, is the roadblock with its barbed wire and surveillance cameras, however, that piece dosent draw any attention in this lightning. id say give the cameras a small red light each, and perhaps light up the area with the roadblock with a stronger, bluish streetlight.

Anyway, the scene is falling nicely to place, and i think it will look great
  • PaperTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the tips, I will make some changes to the street lights and see how it turns out in the next bake. The surveillance cameras have an emissive (blue) but I did not render it in to the static mesh since it take a lot longer to render, same goes for the most part of the windows. And you are probably right that I should increases the over all contrast in the