Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d Characters for Molotov Games' "Patriots".

Hey Guys, been a while since I posted.
No luck getting into the industry but making some smaller steps, working freelance for a few companies, including molotov games as lead character artist.

Just wanted to dump some art from the 2 characters I've done so far.
Only been using 3dsmax and zbrush for 1.5-2years now so I'm still making mistakes here and there, to say nothing for needing to improve quality.

Scroll down for info if you need some mod work to keep idle mouse-finger active.

Character 1. Liz Freeman
3 weeks work in October.
< 17k tris
2048x2048 maps.

Concept by Jesus De Leon
Liz%20Freeman%20Design%20-%20Updated.jpg

Worksheet:
LIZ1.jpg

Textures:
LIZT1.jpg

Wallpaper Render:
LFreemanWP_1280x1024.jpg

Was relatively happy with parts of the model, especially the belt and dreadlocks, but the face and trousers weren't as good as they could of been.

Character 2. Jason Walker
3 weeks work in January
~ 13k tris
2048x2048, 1024x1024 and 512x512 maps.

Concept by Jesus De Leon
design-character-jason-walker.jpg

I'm not one for showing Zbrush images, so just a quick few:
JASON_Z.jpg
Jason_Back_2.jpg

Worksheet:
JASON1.jpg

Worksheet closeups:
JASONP.jpg

I managed to get him ingame without an animators input, shame i suck badly at rigging. UDK shots:
JasonUDK.jpg
JasonUDK2.jpg

Wallpaper Render:
JWalkerWP_1280x1024.jpg

Sorry for the image overload there.

Jason was unfortuneately only a mild success, basing the proportions on the UDK skeleton resulted in a small head, and huge monkey arms.
But i was happy with the head, eyes, and jacket. Hair was a nightmare.

Bring on the crit please!
Laters

#
My boss just wants a shout out for anyone who wants to work with us on Patriots.
We're still on the lookout for Environment, character and FX artists as well as an animator or 2.
Contact details:

email: freedomfighter@getrenewal.net
http://www.indiedb.com/games/patriots-soldiers-of-liberty

Our creator/writer is in contact with Zampella of Respawn, lots of talent in the team, and we're currently working towards a prototype for review by Zampella and subsequently EA.

#

Replies

• Blind Boy Grunt
    i think in all, these were a success. i especially like the girl. those dreads are amazing. i agree the guy wasnt as good, but its still a decent piece. keep on keepin on!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I got a PM from you guys some time ago :D might change my answer after seeing this progress! :)
    characters look great and the polyflow looks smooth! a tad better on the girl than the guy, but it's all good! the shading looks sweet ingame! cool that you got it in there and showed it of!
    the concepts that were supplied were lacking, but I think you managed to produce awesome characters despite that! :) very well done!
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man really like your work, the female is by far better. although her face has a hint of manlyness but i still would!

I really like the guy aswell but feel his head is a bit of a strange shape... Still great work and i cant believe you dont have a job! are you even applying?!!

nice work guys look forward to seeing more.