Home Technical Talk

gif with more colors?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
I like gifs. I like them because they are like images so you can upload them to image hosting websites, post on forums, and so on. and i love them because they can have animations.
Theres just one setback which is the 256 color color pallet.

Im wondering if there is another format like gif which acts like an image but is capable of holding animations and could also have more colors in it?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    I've seen flipbooks using PNGs, done with javascript.
    HTML5 has picture-animation support, but it's not supported widely yet.

One thing to improve GIF colors is to use a good GIF animation program, I recommend GIF Movie Gear, it's really good and not expensive. Imports videos, great palette controls, good editing timeline, etc.

Another thing that helps is to limit the background to a solid color when you're rendering the source.
  • equil
    animated pngs. support is sketchy though (unsupported in chrome/safari and IE).
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty much what Eric said (for gif) a decent program which doesn't automatically compress the colors during export is important.

Also, the less you spend on 'obsolete' information the better, I've seen many people use a gradient background (or cloudy) and get issues overall the place, just focus on the piece in question.

Lastly, make sure your image host service doesn't modify images after an upload. I can't say how many times I forgot to tick that "Do not Optimize image" box...
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Youtube, or vimeo is your best option for actual videos.

APNG is very shoddily supported.

You could make your own Flipbook with javascript (as mentioned) or Flash.

I'd suggest using GIF though, for most uses it should be good enough.

tumblr_lky5llDXkY1qe0eclo1_500.gif

tumblr_lkontqKgcs1qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif

tumblr_li5uszybM11qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif