Home Unreal Engine

Weird UDK translucent/aplha problem.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
I am not sure what is causing this but every time I put my alpha of my texture to opacity its giving me weird see through splatters on my static mesh.

This one is with only alpha map on diffuse channel

udkweird2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/f/594/udkweird2.jpg

This one is once I connect it with opacity

udkweird3.jpg
http://imageshack.us/f/689/udkweird3.jpg/

So does anyone know what the problem is?

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Having the alpha channel hooked up to both diffuse and opacity might be confusing the material editor.

I've found that if the diffuse's alpha channel to opacity or opacity mask doesn't work, I just save out the alpha map as its own separate map and it works fine.

What does your alpha map look like? It looks like a part of it might be misaligned or something.

Also, is that diffuse map saved out as a 32-bit targa?
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
    Having the alpha channel hooked up to both diffuse and opacity might be confusing the material editor.

I've found that if the diffuse's alpha channel to opacity or opacity mask doesn't work, I just save out the alpha map as its own separate map and it works fine.

What does your alpha map look like? It looks like a part of it might be misaligned or something.

Also, is that diffuse map saved out as a 32-bit targa?

The Alpha map was fine and I did save the diffuse map as a 32-bit targa.
    But by saving the alpha map as separate map worked. Thanks for your help!
  • PointlessReboot
    There should be no reason to have alpha in a separate texture, to me it sounds like there is a problem with your material or texture. You can take any channel from any texture and assign to any of the material connections.

Without seeing your material settings or seeing your textures alpha channel, it would be hard to form any sort of conclusion to whats wrong.

Did you look at the alpha channel of your texture in the texture viewer to see if there were any issues, what formats texture were you using DXT1 or DXT5, if you were using DXT1 did you make sure the the alpha coming in is only 0 and 255.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Did you import as a standard Default? Also, don't compress the Alpha channel and try Dither Alpha instead.

Honestly, Alpha's work fine, something must be going on.