Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

He-Man [WIP]

What if Dolph Lundgren and a He-Man figure merged into some weird being?
UPDATE While I understand that the proportions are intentionally skewed, the objective is to create a believable character that would exist in the 1980's He-Man Universe.

I also had done a quick sculpt of a head a while back that I always wanted to give a body. I’ve always been obsessed with He-Man, so this project was pretty much inevitable.

I am currently in the process of importing my hard edge geometry from Maya, chest straps are next on the list. Once those are in I’ll be getting the leg muscles cleaned up and then onto his feet..

Hope to have high-res completed within the next few days and then onto the low res, game model and texturing!

HeManProg1.jpg

Replies

• JPiejko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added chest plate, tweaking the thighs and currently working on boots.

HeManUpdate2.png
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    My first reaction would be, stop adding detail and fix the proportions. The Head is really big and the legs seam really short and stubby.
  • JPiejko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neilberard, perhaps I didn't clarify enough through my original post...The proportions are intentionally skewed to that of the He-Man figures/ cartoons of the 80's.

Here is a pic of a figure in case if people aren't familiar.

he-man.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Oh.... Ok.... well go for it, I guess.. Bust out some Hogarth and add them bubble muscles.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you're doing a muscle study, it's probably not a good idea to follow a badly designed action figure...
  • JPiejko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader, I totally realized that my original post was misleading. I've updated that. I'm not using the action figure's "bubble muscles" as a study of anatomy. I used various photos of body builders for that. I then re-proportioned the character to better fit the 1980's He-Man universe.

So is the crit that I am getting that you guys don't believe this model works with the objective that I have clarified?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I mean- if your trying to make a true re-creation of the proportions from the 80`s I don't know if modeling from toy proportions if your best bet. You can`t let your reference cause you to make bad design decisions that your married to because they`re, -well, "in the ref" I did that once before. check out my maxx model based on this stupid toy

I ended up making some really wacky anatomy to make up for all the weird stuff they had to do in order to slice articulation points into the sculpt to make it a functional toy.

Ref should always have something in it thats cool- gets you excited, and captures something that speaks to your taste. Maybe something like this is better suited. Its from the 80`s, and it gives you enough freedom to take whatever liberties you need.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The thing is its not very obvious that you meant to have the skewed proportions from the 80s toys/cartoons. It just looks like you don't understand anatomy. You're going for a realistic looking muscley guy but with incorrect proportions, and it looks weird
  • JPiejko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Konstruct and Sukotto for the constructive feedback! I'll make changes to the proportions and see if that resonates better with people.

I created an adult Link character a while back with skewed proportions. (See Portfolio) I think a more realistic form of proportions would def aid the portfolio for my He-Man. Konstruct, the image you posted is definitely a more believable, yet stylized form of He-Man.

Thanks guys!
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Going through your site, i noticed that your using the same head (frank) for He-man? you wont learn much at all from doing so. He looks like hes blazed out of his mind lol

ref
    heman13.jpg
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Oh I knew that head looked familiar lol.

You should really "from scratch" that joint.If not thats cool too, though he looks a bit evil to be a Heman.

ref:

heman2.JPG
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with making his proportions realistic instead of skewing them, unless they would be extremely stylized. That action figure you posted is great ref for the face/style though, those golden flowing almost justin beiber like locks of hair would be amazing.

he%20man%20prince%20adam.jpg

I think neilberard meant the way hogarth draws muscles, when he said bubble muscles? or maybe i'm overthinking
  • MissMaddyTaylor
  • JPiejko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, Thanks everyone. Yea. I was def planning on modifying the head a bit...but I am thinking a brand new head is in order. Tone down his Fakor/Evil He-man look.

EIGHT, Where the heck did you see my Frank head before?! Haha.

I'll be out of town till Monday, but expect some cool stuff!

Thanks for all the constructive crit guys! Much appreciated.