Home Technical Talk

help with "shiney" metal

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Notes polycounter lvl 4
One of my teachers gave us an option to do the door from the starcraft 2 intro cg...he showed us some of his former student's work including this one...I'm going towards a steam punk-ish style for my starcraft door...
starcraftdoor.jpg

What I can't seem to figure out is how he got the specular on the glossy surfaces to glow like actual metal...I thought it was some settings with the glossy texture channel in Max...I was not able to find much info on creating a gloss map but from what I could find metal would need a low gloss...I was trying to figure out how to do this but several hours and tries later I still can't get it to look like 'shiney' metal....
these other screen shots are my maps and light set up...thanks again for any input...project is due friday night if any is offering critiques :)

maps.jpg

screenshot_lights.jpg

Replies

• Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    oh...the gloss map in the screen shot was one of many I tried...others were inverted... saturate..desaturated..more and less contrast...I even used the spec map in this channel and still could not the get the result I wanted...using Mental Ray and Max 2012 by the way...
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You need some kind of reflection, like a cubemap needs to be applied.

Your gloss needs to be B&W which represents the material difference of your specular.

Your specular needs to represent the strength of the shine.

Also, MR? What material? Settings? I don't see your render, could you post it?
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    You shouldn't have black for your spec on your metal. Metal itself has a very high specular value. You could add in a little color to your spec, use the same hue as your diffuse.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    @Ace-Angel
    I applied a cube map to the material and it reflected off of the entire door O.o
    I changed the Gloss to pure b&w (in pic)
    Changed the spec as well....less black per Gsokol and it really helped....I can see it clearly when I turned the gloss up to 100...
    MR? Mental Ray Renderer - Blinn Material...
    settings.jpg

and this is the render...it's pretty much finished...teacher isn't requiring this extra step but it's bugging me that it's the last thing that will make it 'pop'

render.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Spec needs to be a LOT brighter across the board.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I made the spec map brighter and everything was grayed out...I got the effect I wanted by adding a free light almost on top of the door but still not close to the first picture...
    render.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your Specular and Gloss strength set to 256?
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Metal is shiny, so specular needs to be quite bright, with a small variance to get.. variety. Don't make it all black and just highlight the edges.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This pretty much tells you everything you need to do to get good metal renders from max.
    http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/10/making-better-metal-with-miamaterial.html
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    specular should be very bright all over, with nearly full white highlights and scratches. and yeah, try and add scratches and color variations to the specular only, it'll make it more interesting to look at :)

(but yeah, echoing what everyone's been saying, really)
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I would drop the diffuse of my materials down to 0 until I get the reflections right, and then immediately add HDRI image based lighting, you will likely have to tweak it by lowing the HDRI intensity and/or lowering specular strength afterwards. Also, pieces that are completely and perfectly flat will look weird, much like a mirror which is good since it will make you want to add more detail and imperfections to break that up. Personally I would also use a MR material instead of stock blinn.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    You don't NEED cubemaps or reflections to define metals. They certainly do define metals, but you can fake shiny metal with the basics. I made this image for you....it's HUGE

metal.jpg

You can see that I use a dark diffuse. From left to right I try various settings to make metal based on your values in your spec/gloss map. If you use a high gloss value you will get a pin point specular, implying a mirror like reflection. While this may be true for the real world material of many metals, it needs to be faked for games/real time solutions. As the image continues right, you see I play with different spec levels and gloss values. But nothing looks right until you hit the far right and the extremes. High contrast spec (white) with a very wide gloss (dark grey) works wonders to fake metal. The final right image is the same settings as the one next to it but you can see that with some lights in the scene, the values I chose add up to a decent faked metal. You can, and should, use true reflections to get the best metal, but this is a good starting point.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    FTW!!!!!

I was not able to set the gloss to 256 but the specular I was able too...never knew the spec went pass 100 O.o

Now im going back to tweak my maps to adjust....if I could send you a cookie over the internet i would :)

@Quack! I tried what you did as well as trying different lighting...learned something :)

@cptSwing: I was wondering about adding color variations to the spec map...what kind of colors should i use?? an inverted color scheme of the diffuse map? the color of what a real metal reflection should be? or just random colors??? I was experimenting with this but could not get a 'cool' result..

@Scruples: "use a MR material instead of stock blinn." I've never thought of that...thanks!

@r_fletch_r: thanks for the link !!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7

Is this another stupid default in Max's default shaders or am I missing something?
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    You don't NEED cubemaps or reflections to define metals. They certainly do define metals, but you can fake shiny metal with the basics. I made this image for you....it's HUGE

metal.jpg

You can see that I use a dark diffuse. From left to right I try various settings to make metal based on your values in your spec/gloss map. If you use a high gloss value you will get a pin point specular, implying a mirror like reflection. While this may be true for the real world material of many metals, it needs to be faked for games/real time solutions. As the image continues right, you see I play with different spec levels and gloss values. But nothing looks right until you hit the far right and the extremes. High contrast spec (white) with a very wide gloss (dark grey) works wonders to fake metal. The final right image is the same settings as the one next to it but you can see that with some lights in the scene, the values I chose add up to a decent faked metal. You can, and should, use true reflections to get the best metal, but this is a good starting point.

He's doing a render, no point in using hacks when you can actually do it right with better results.

(not to jump on you personally, it just seems silly to use realtime hacks when you can use a physically plausable solution which is easy and gives better results.)
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Computron wrote: »
    Is this another stupid default in Max's default shaders or am I missing something?
    The Specular Level is defaulted to 100 in Max when it can actually go up alot higher
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »

I don't think for Specular you would need to go over 100, but for a specific case, I recall that you need to set your Gloss to 256 or 512 (not sure which number).

This had to do with MR and something about them removing shaders akin to the ones found in Iron Man causing some issues with other materials.

Again, extremely long time ago, so I think it's fixed right now, although I got used to using 256 as my natives values in Specular and Gloss, so I compensate my maps to these numbers, so that might help.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    This is the final i'm turning in...thanks for all the help guys..comparing it to the one above it 'pops'...this is what it looks like after I hit render..no editing what-so-ever....

Door_01_A.jpg
    once again...thanks :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think for Specular you would need to go over 100, but for a specific case, I recall that you need to set your Gloss to 256 or 512 (not sure which number).

This had to do with MR and something about them removing shaders akin to the ones found in Iron Man causing some issues with other materials.

Again, extremely long time ago, so I think it's fixed right now, although I got used to using 256 as my natives values in Specular and Gloss, so I compensate my maps to these numbers, so that might help.

most of those disabled shaders are enabled now. they simply were not tested enough previously to include in the vanilla package. I've been using them for years and have had no issues with them.

Personally I'd avoid the standard material for realistic renders. It's out of date and really shows it.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Try disabling your gloss texture in the shader, and crank up the brightness of your spec. Take a render and see what that does :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    He's doing a render, no point in using hacks when you can actually do it right with better results.

(not to jump on you personally, it just seems silly to use realtime hacks when you can use a physically plausable solution which is easy and gives better results.)

No offense taken. But since we are talking about hacks...should we be encouraging him to NOT use specular then, since it is just a hack also?

Congrats onto finishing this Notes!
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    oO hi If you doing it in max rendering then you can easily use a self illuminated plane infront of your mesh, a technique mostly use in car renderings (photo studio like) and play with tones of grey in reflection maerial by adding noise, Smoke, speckle procedural maps :D. I know you have completed this piece but still, may be for future reference :).
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I mean im not REALLLYYY finished...the piece is just due :P Definitely going to go tweak this during my though.

" illuminated plane infront of your mesh, a technique mostly use in car renderings (photo studio like) and play with tones of grey in reflection maerial by adding noise, Smoke, speckle procedural maps"

that sounds foreign to me atm cause im not that deep into my 3d learning...we we're to just supposed to use what we know and I wanted to learn normal maps, spec,gloss this quarter so I had to do that on my own...next quarter should be better :) I would love to keep updating this through out school.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    No offense taken. But since we are talking about hacks...should we be encouraging him to NOT use specular then, since it is just a hack also?

Congrats onto finishing this Notes!

the A&D shader handles specular correctly thats why i was suggesting it.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    the A&D shader handles specular correctly thats why i was suggesting it.

Well shit, I learned something today! Thanks for the info.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Notes wrote: »
    @cptSwing: I was wondering about adding color variations to the spec map...what kind of colors should i use?? an inverted color scheme of the diffuse map? the color of what a real metal reflection should be? or just random colors??? I was experimenting with this but could not get a 'cool' result..

i actually meant color variations within the black/white range in this case, smudging or scratches for instance. but yes, if you want your specular highlights to have a different color, you could use a full rgb specular map. a blue tint might work for metal, or reddish/orange hues. if you're not using copper or bronze or anything though, it's not an absolute necessity imo, especially since coloured spec maps can be a bit of a headache at first.

and here's a cool link with more information: http://www.manufato.com/?p=902

HAWK12HT wrote: »
    speckle procedural maps

man, i love the speckle effect in mental ray's car paint shader. my 30 second attempts to reproduce it in a regular shader haven't been too successful, unfortunately (car paint is way too reflective for my taste) ;)