Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brown Note Emitter

bassmatt00
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bassmatt00 polycounter lvl 7
Here's some concepting for a brown note emitter that I'll be modeling out for one of my classes. Let me know what y'all think of the direction I'm heading in.

Time to paint the town BROWN!

BrownNoteGun.jpg

Replies

• professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rofl...got that right away. Not sure how many will.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Lol, thats a strange concept. I like strange concepts.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Let's see it! Could be super cool. Especially if you get it into a deathmatch game, haha.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha this is a fun concept to work from and that comic page is awesome! Wanted to post up some of my progress shots from my build.

Let me know if you see something that doesn't make sense or just looks a little off. I've been staring at this thing for a while and could use a fresh perspective on it. Thanks!

BNE1.jpg
    BNE2.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!!! I changed around what would be the speakers on the gun to look a little more durable instead of looking like a couple of nasty subwoofers on a rifle. I also added a butt stock that made more sense.

I still have to make some changes and add more things but I am looking for comments and crits about my work so please let me know what you guys think

gun1.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    gun4.jpg
    gun5.jpg
    gun6.jpg
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I needs 4 settings

"Watery, loose, prolapse and anal volcano."

looking good man - can't wait to see more!
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    technically a brown note emitter would be a large barrelled speaker surely? like a bigger version of a jawa ion gun.

But nice modelling anyway. :)
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok high poly done... gonna start the low stuff right now. Enjoy!

1-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    3-4.jpg
    4-2.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly! it's a whopping 19,326 tris! The normal map still needs some work to pop the rivets and stuff but i'll keep you guys updated since this project is due in a week

L1.jpg
    L2.jpg
    L3.jpg
    L4.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forgot to post some wires :)

wire1-1.jpg
    wire2-1.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like youve got some pretty dense areas for the low poly...also a lot of details that you left modeled that could be faked in the nm map as well.

Also, while it looks cool...I don't see how this reads as a brown note gun. Not a single aspect of the design gives reminds me of poop or sound? I would have at least expected the barrel to look like the end of a trumpet or something.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say you could easily take half the polys out of the stock without seeing any difference.
    Also take this into consideration with your cylindrical objects:
    domes_and_polycounts.png
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okie dokie, I got the tri count down to a respectable 9,033. Any suggestions before I start making textures?

low1.jpg
    low2.jpg
    low3.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoaaaz, took it down a lot! Good job! :D Nowww it looks like a low x]
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Cut in half! nice. With those cylinders on the top you could probably get away with merging them to half the edge loops as the converge. Same with those 3 bumps on the side of the gun, just follow what gilesruscoe posted above yours. And at the front of the barrel, there seems to be a circular edge loop on the largest cylinder that isn't doing anything?
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to gileruscoe - thank you for posting that chart. It really did help a lot and got me to think smarter when taking a model to low-poly

to darbeenbo - thanks for pointing out that extra edge loop I had. That took the tri count down by about 40! Now I'm down in the 8K bracket :)

to everyone following - I'm gonna start baking right now and will be posting some awesomeness asap
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got some issues that came up. I forgot to model out the innards of the vacuum tubes at the top. problem is that I had already spent hours UV packing and baking normals and AO. I really don't want to repack the UV's and re-bake the maps. Any suggestions?

PS - just installed the Xoliul shader and will be playing around with it soon. In the meantime enjoy some progress.

test3.jpg
    test4.jpg
    test2.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started on some texturing today, it's not finished at all and these are just some 3DS Max renders. Comments and crits are encouraged and appreciated since I don't claim to be an awesome texture artist.

1-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    3-5.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    5-1.jpg
    6.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think you material definition is lacking. I can't tell what anything is made out of.

I think a couple of questions you could ask yourself would be...
    - What are guns made out of?
    - How many varying materials are on any given gun max. (right now it seems like you have almost 10)

I don't ever see guns with this many different materials unless it was something that was put together out of a junkyard which is not what the model looks like.

You know I hate to say but I think the solid colors you have in the post before this one (the brown and gray) actually looks a million times better. It is more simplified and more believable. It also shows off your model more. I can see all those nice details you sculpted out and cast down.

Lastly I am not a big fan of that diagonal material you have going on. Not sure what it is... but it kinda looks like an enlarged denim material.

Keep the work flowing man! Get a spec map on it and get it back into Xoliul Shader. ;)
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... I've worked hard at this project for 3 weeks and have had to deal with other assignments in school, but I think I have a solid weapon here.

To jeremiah_bigley - Thank you for the comment. I'm going to continue working on this weapon more in a few weeks. I want to add more detail in the high poly and give it a police style paint job which doesn't allow for a lot of materials as you stated. Oh, and the diamond pattern material was a carbon fiber material I found.

9,195 tris
    2048x2048

Diffuse
    BNEDiffuse.jpg

Spec
    BNESpec.jpg

Normal
    BNENormal.jpg

This image is rendered out in Marmoset
    marmosetranderpage.jpg

This image was taken from UDK
    UDK_Render.jpg