Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

House Of the three Bears (environment)

Hi all,

A few mates and I are building an environment for a project.
The premise is a Fairytale Village with a horror/gory twist.

I'm in charge of building The house of the three bears from the Goldilocks fairytale. We're going to try and use the environment to tell a slightly interactive story, i.e you can walk into the house and discover how Goldilocks was murdered

Here's the base build I've done, We're building it in Maya, and it is going to be put into gamebryo for a run through. We're also limited to 15k tri's

awuQ2.jpg

dCwMK.jpg

49Olm.jpg

eOngN.jpg

PFBXz.jpg

4fPnD.jpg

Any critic or feedback on it would be awesome.

Textured models to come soon

Replies

• Phaix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture Update.

DXJQj.jpg

VCRON.jpg

8Sydi.jpg

uhmc3.jpg

PjbHW.jpg
    It just has default lights from gamebryo, will finalize the lights tomorrow.

I'm also aware the normals look a bit dodgy in some area's particularily the borders, First time using nDo and not quite used to it yet, but i'm working on it.
  • Phaix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the scene fully lit,

I had to take the renders in mental ray, because light baking refused to work.
    An issue with the shader gamebryo uses and multiple UV sets...
    I'm working on a way to reduce the amount of lights in the scene without heavily reducing the quality. (gamebryo will only allow 8 dynamic lights in an entire scene, and that has to include the other peoples stuff...)

VBihQ.jpg

76md1.jpg

lfZLe.jpg

bOmgY.jpg

cZ38R.jpg
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I am not familiar with gamebyro so I can't give you much help there. I was going to suggest using UDK but seeing as there are others involved I am guessing you have already all decided on gamebyro.

Overall the lighting is very dark in the scene and it appears that you have some texture stretching with the brick texture (right side by the front door and above the pots and pans.) Also your texture sizes between the various assets doesn't seem to be in scale with each other (looking at the picture of the dresser, pictures and wall) Your dresser and pictures textures look crisp but the walls texture seems too small. Either use a larger texture for the brick or size down the texture sizes on the assets inside the house.

The scale of your assets also seem off. I suggest putting a stand in figure to represent the bears and goldilocks. Once you do that you will better be able to size the assets like the bed, dresser, door height, ceiling height

Best of luck!
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    pretty much just echoing what Anthy said, but yeah, it's super dark and gloomy, not at all what I would expect from story book characters. The only way I know it's the 3 bears house is because you told me so. Where's the honey?? Also the scale of things is totally out of whack.

Do you have any reference of what you're trying to achieve? preliminary drawings or anything like that??
  • Phaix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986- Yeah another engine would be nice but our programmers are still learning, and udk script is apparantly really annoying for them.
    The lighting is dark to try and emulate just after sunset. (it's actually brighter than i had originally planned). We were also planning to have a light source on the camera, like a lantern to briighten up what you're looking at.

The textures definitely need some tweaking thanks, i think its a problem with the sharpness of the image, coz the house walls are on a 2k map and the pictures are on a 1k along side about 20 other small objects.

I did have a scale guide but somewhere along the line it dissapeared lol. didn't notice how far off everything was. Thanks

Archanex- As i stated in the first post, it's fairytale but with a horror theme to it, so it needs to be dark and gloomy. I could make the blood a bit more obvious though.
    And i don't know what else i could have put into it to make it more "3 bears house" i've got the porridge, the three chairs with the little one broken, and the three beds (one with a lump in it). Plus there are honey jars on the shelf (even though thats winny the pooh), they might not be obviously honey though.

Don't have many concept sketches, but i was going for a little woodsy cottage, set in the victorian era. I'll try and scan in the concepts and put up references soon.

Thanks for the crit