Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Clark Varner, VFX Artist

Hey guys here's the link to my portfolio. Just got back from GDC and will be making upgrades within the next month. Any feedback would be sweet.

clarkvarner.blogspot.com

Design on my friends!

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Making the game playable on your portfolio seems cool but what people wants to see are screenshots and / or videos. Recruiters don't have time to play a game while searching for potential talents. They want to see at the very first second if the candidate will fit with their needs. Make some short videos of your special effects (3-5 seconds), so people can jugde your skills with that. A good example of FX portfolio would be this one : matvincent.com
    Click on the Unity game prototype page, he shows to use how he made the effects and how it was apply in a game production. By the way, he's working for Ubisoft as a FX artist.
    Good luck!
  • Kalama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, I will definitely be making those changes.
  • Kalama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The website you recommended was pretty good. That guy is quite accomplished. I had a question though. Both FX reels were over 5 minutes long, is that common for FX reels? I will be posting videos on my website and need a comparison.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Usually, a demo reel shouldn't be over 2 minutes. People makes around 1 minute, to impress everyone and give a hype to the viewer who wants to see more. 5 minutes demo reel are more for companies, like Autodesk who wants to presents all the year's compilation. Try to imagine yourself at an event like the GDC. You have your iPad. And you got like a bunch of recruiters to impress. Don't bored them and take all their times with long videos to watch. Just show them sample, something simple that's gonna blow their mind and wants to hire you.
  • Kalama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay cool. I gotta work on the Sale.