Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, Allbrotnar

Starting a little bit late, but I've done some sketching today, settled on one design I want to work on and will be prototyping it next. I'm a bit intimidated by some of the work already posted, especially since I'm mainly a 2d guy, but this work will hopefully feature in my honours project, which deals with weapon design in games. Here's teh first couple of sketches I threw around today:

weaponsketch1.jpg

weaponsketch2.jpg

I didn't like how the hammer came out of the skull, so I turned it into an axe:

weaponsketch3.jpg

Time for some iterative work! :)

Replies

• Allbrotnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messed around a bit with the silhouette. Not sure which one to develop next. I'm leaning towards one of the single-edged designs, double sided axes are a pet peeve of mine.

Axedesignscopy.jpg
  • Grampz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awwwwww man I wanted to reply to this last night but the misses was on me about getting some sleep. This is downright AMAZING stuff. I'm in love with that deformed skull that has its mouth forcefully gaped with a band of metal.

The last axe looks pretty sweet! I'd say if you put some padding (like cloth) under the hand it could reduce the poly limit required for it. The open mouth and the spikes need a bit more thought, but its looking magnificent so far!

p.s. post your Darksiders II link in your signature.

Edit: I like 1, 2, and 4. Didn't refresh before posting.
  • Allbrotnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough paint of the axe with a new haft and pommel. Have to rush off, but I will do a finished paint tonight with a few colour variations. Modeling begins tomorrow (yay?).

axepaintcopy1.jpg
  • Grampz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you make sure it fit into the size boxes? It looks a bit short, but I love what you did to the handle. Can't wait to see the 3d
  • Allbrotnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy, am I late with this. Today I have to clean up the geometry, UV map it, and tomorrow comes sculpting. Better stock up on coffee, and I might just take up smoking, haha. Maya screwed me over a few days ago by exploding my model, but I managed to sort of catch up.

Also, do all the parts need to be separate objects? Or do we have to merge them into one?

Cheers, guys!

Progress6.jpg

Progress4-1.jpg

Progress5.jpg