Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Muscular Male Sculpt

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aston91 polycounter lvl 6
Hi, just made an account on here because i need some feedback on my sculpt i am currently doing for my course at university. As this is unfinished i still need to add more detail to parts of the body, but as it stands now i just need to know if im missing something.

feedback would be appreciated cheers!

Pic1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    As a muscular man the only real muscles that are defined are the pecs and the abs, even those are lacking quite a bit like everything else. Instead of going in and doing details, working on major forms will really help you quite a bit, I did a paint over that could help you get proportions right, but gathering ref on real life muscled men and diagrams of muscles and skeletons will really help you

dMagF.jpg
  • Fade Aolani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking very nice so far, and the placement of the muscles themselves is almost perfect - though I think that might be part of a small problem. His abs are almost too well sculpted and symmetrical, and maybe a little squarish at the ends. Remember that humans are imperfect - don't be afraid to add variations in size and shaping on either side. It would be nice to see him start to develop some character as the process goes along.

That's just me being nit-picky though for the same of some constructive critisism; he's looking great!
  • aston91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aston91 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback really helped me out. I have made some changes and are close to the end of my sculp. Progress below:

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg
  • Fade Aolani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's starting to look really spectacular :) I'm glad to have helped. Looking forward to seeing the details in the face fleshed out!
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take another look at your hips and follow alemja's paintover. You should really be defining the illiac crest and the muscles over it and not the bottom of the pelvis. Also, your calf muscles are in serious need of overhaul. Also, maybe get in there and define the muscle group behind the pecs, below the armpit.
  • Poop Shooter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aston, I am going to be overly harsh here. Its not looking spectacular.

You are learning and listening to crits which is good. Do not perceive anatomy. look at it! A few people have mentioned the skeleton. Listen to them its the most important part. Find the bony points of the skeleton and build muscle off of that. I.e. the knees, elbows ,wrists, ankle, great trachanter, rib cage, illiac crest, clavicles, and the scapula etc.

The skeleton will also define the proportion of the character which is also a bit off. Establish a proper rib cage as well. I feel the draft of your character is off as well. Look at the body at odd angles not just orthographically. Look at the curvature of the torso and legs etc. Find images of people lying on the beach to get those odd angles.

Think skeleton, Base Shapes and then the planes of the muscles. You are almost there. Fade is correct in his crti. All people are different in definition of musculature. The overall forms will define the character. Keep it in symmetry as long as possible and explore the musculature. Once you learn it forget it and make people which are imperfect in nature. We are all the same at the core but break every anatomical paradigm of anatomy because we are human.

You will never be as good as you want to be. That is a good thing. Never stop learning because the human body is an amazing thing.Keep pluggng away! Eat, breath and sleep it! take a traditional sculpting course if you can. Digitally look at this guys stuff http://www.zackpetroc.com/ he is an amazing artist and person. Also John Brown I can say the same about him. http://www.figuresandfocus.com/

These guys have changed my life! along with Geaorge bridgeman books

Sorry about the book I just wrote but, your work reminded me of my start.
    I wish you the best keep up the hard work. Its a journey well taken.
    Mark