Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Resurrection Cockpit (Environment Art)

Phrexeus
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Phrexeus polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys. First post. I've been a semi-lurker here for a while now. Finally thought I would post up as I am working on something pretty cool. It's for portfolio/jobs, so crit would be appreciated.

Currently working on the chairs:

8s1kX.jpg

The leather texture is finished. The rest of the chair is getting near done, texture wise. I'm starting to think I should have built a high-poly version of the chair for baking normals. It seems almost pointless when it's all made out of strips of metal, but some of those sharp corners are bothering me now. I might try adding some bevels in photoshop - if anyone has any tips for doing this, shoot.

48UFF.jpg

Here is some more of the cockpit interior. Some stuff modeled, some blocked out.

roJik.jpg

One of the most time consuming parts so far is just getting all the scaling right, since all I have is basically a load of screenshots from the movie as ref plus a few set pictures and one blueprint of the ship (which was useful but not accurate). Still some scaling problems as you can see here, either I make the biped bigger or the chair smaller.

JIIUV.jpg

Some refs:

52glv.jpg

Replies

• Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consoles are almost complete. Got one or 2 more things to add. Then time to sort out the UVs and bake.

xubSM.jpg

Also worked on the chair texture a bit more:

m25oo.jpg

Ug0Zw.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like that chair. Will be watching
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Built the low res meshes, baked normals and ambient (love xnormal!), got the texturing mostly done:

I can finally start working on the rest of the scene soon.

7P4y5.jpg

Npk9v.jpg

CaCiq.jpg

9rdkO.jpg
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet baby jesus ! nice work
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not updating this thread in a while. Here you go!

Not (quite) finished yet, still needs a few more wires and a bit more work on texturing.

mGwou.jpg

QdVu6.jpg

jh4im.jpg

DmVNo.jpg
  • Ich 666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ich 666 polycounter lvl 9
    Id look into the texture of the console again, the yellow metal material looks a bit too grungy for my taste. Otherwise you really blew me away with this scene!
  • Rednaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your using too much of the render clouds (or might just be brushes), it just looks too random. I understand that its an old spaceship which should be a bit dirty looking, but right now the dirt looks the same on both the vertical and horizontal surfaces which isn't really realistic. Other than that, cool scene :)
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Yeah I probably was a bit too heavy handed with layering up grunge and re-used too many similar textures. I didn't use clouds much, I ripped detail from photos to use as grunge a lot.
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is now finished! Thanks to everyone who gave me critique.

j9Ll0.jpg

T7yvQ.jpg

YRVzm.jpg
  • twigdamnyou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twigdamnyou polycounter lvl 8
    holy shit that looks amazing
  • sipher3325
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really nice dude!! The chairs are so perfect :D
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, that movie was bad.

But this is great :D
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see this finished!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Modeling is great, texturing is also really good, but what about lighting? Are you really gonna leave your presentation like that? The final stages is the best part of it, don't skip on it!
    Work on a material pass, lighting pass, and maybe some post process too and work on your presentation a bit more, and this will be news worthy good!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Agree with Helder...

Materials. Add some cubemaps, hints of reflection, do a really nice lighting pass on this.

Look at the shot from the movie and how dark it is. The pools of light focus your eye on the cool elements while letting the not so fantastic stuff sit in shadow.

Right now it's great but a few small adjustments and this can be spectacular. Def worth that extra bit of time and love.
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. Uncle - haha yeah, the movie kinda sucked, but this ship design was one of the cooler parts. That and sigourney weaver's basketball shot.

HP + Jesse - I'm pretty new to environment art and very new to UDK, so I'm not 100% sure about what you mean when you talk about a material or lighting pass. Do you just mean that I should work on the materials and lighting more, or are you talking about a special render pass technique? I get what you're saying about the lighting composition though Jesse, will work on that.

I have a cube map on the windows for some subtle reflection, but it didn't look very good on the other objects because they are all normal mapped, which makes the reflection look kinda horrible. Again I'm kind of new to UDK and the material editor (learned UDK during this project) so there might be a better way. The weird fake specular that lightmass adds is very hard to control. It's probably the main thing letting the scene down, but I kind of need lightmass.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    It's ok man, that's why you're here, to learn! :) And I gotta tell you, this is an amazing accomplishment for a "first try environment".

One thing that's putting me off a bit, is the amount of random detail and noise on those textures, I would tone them down just a bit, because at the moment the whole scene is fighting for attention, and there's loads of high frequency shit everywhere, but that's not exactly your fault, as the original movie is more or less the same.

What I meant by lighting pass, is make it fall under the same tones, for the good or worse, that's what hollywood is, so you need to make shit a little bit more monotoneZ

- Never use white lights, tint them yellow, and put a slight glow on them too.

- Desaturate your scene a bit, and push for the dark yellows, like the in the movie.

- Increase the contrast a lot, whereas still try and stay away from pure black. (Black should be very dark grey)

- Tint scene of yellow a bit.

Like this, very quick and dirty tho, sorry)
    TPkQv.jpg

(Obivously these are only some pointers, and advice on how I would do it)
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks HP! You were dead right... I messed around with the lighting colours and materials and boom, looks much better.

I'm considering this 100% finished an portfolio ready now. Of course there are probably small improvements I could make, but I would rather move onto other work than endlessly tweak this scene. Crit is still welcome of course. Thanks to everyone who gave me help and advice!

E7Qmo.jpg

JKibZ.jpg

z6LEW.jpg