Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scout ship.

electronic-fox
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
electronic-fox polycounter lvl 8
I have been working on this scout ship since thursday evening, and so far I'm rather proud of it :D I believe it to be my first show-worthy piece (or at least show-worthy outside of deviantart).

Anyway, as show-worthy as I think it is, I put it here to see what you folk think, and what advice you might give to improve it, as a learning experience.

I used Maya 2012, crazybump and Photoshop for the creation, UDK for the screens and material (Im kinda learning to use it at the same time for use at university)

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The depth you gave to the pattern on the windshield I feel is a bit unnecessary and makes it look foamy. Also the scratches on the metal a bit hazy..well very hazy and soft. I can't really tell whats going on in your first and last screenshot because it's so dark.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    are you using a specular map for this asset? and what texture size is it, as everything is quite blurry? i find it hard to read the various materials, which parts are metallic/paint/rubber etc. and i agree about maybe reconsidering the windshield pattern, it reminds me of a reptile's scales.

the modeling seems solid enough, and i like the design (apart from the very, very thin heatsink things in the back). a wireframe view would help to judge any possible issues with the mesh itself. ;)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going along with the other guys, I like the design, and it seems like your modeling is decent enough, but your material definition is completely destroying this at the moment.

Your metals don't have properties of metal, your glass doesn't have properties of glass, etc...

The material on the glass is a little odd and looks pillowy, like ErichWK suggested. If its supposed to be glass, look into adding some fresnel highlights and some cubemap reflections. Also, if you want to keep that design, you can't really have that in the normal map...glass can't be bumpy if you want to see out of it.

Some work on your spec map will help a lot with the metal bits. It looks like you may have added some scratches and whatnot on corners, which is good (unless its in the diffuse...can't really tell in still images). But you need some variance to make different bits pop out.

Also, more nitpicky...but the "fins" that stick out on either side...its obvious that they are placed in the same uv space. Consider making 2 or 3 sections for this piece and alternate where they are placed or something...that will help break that up a lot.

I hope this helps! Good luck.