Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Floating Island Utopia

A project I am currently working on for a class project.

Built using the Unreal Development Kit
All the assets were modeled in Maya
I used Mudbox to texture the rock and stone assets, and the rest with Photoshop

Still have a long ways to go, but this is where I am at so far

scaled.php?server=210&filename=floatingcitywip4.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=444&filename=floatingcitywip5.jpg&res=medium

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to give feedback :D

Replies

• BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    LUMPY BOULDERRRRRRS!
    Looks pretty good, that water could do with a more vertical texture though :)
    Will there be some kind of path to walk through or is this a flyaround kinda thing?
    Are there normal maps on those rocks? It looks pretty flat, maybe it's the light?
    Looking forward to updates!
  • Frogmafia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK wrote: »
    LUMPY BOULDERRRRRRS!
    Looks pretty good, that water could do with a more vertical texture though :)
    Will there be some kind of path to walk through or is this a flyaround kinda thing?
    Are there normal maps on those rocks? It looks pretty flat, maybe it's the light?
    Looking forward to updates!

The water texture is something that I had to leave and move to something else. I will most likely deal with it near the end of the project :S

The level is going to be a flythrough, although there are plans to have enclosed walk areas (if time allows)

There are normal maps on the rocks, but a first pass, and will be updated towards the end of the project.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    No worries! Maybe you could group the trees and most of the foliage around the water? Like a floating oasis?
    Just a thought :D
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    The rocks are too similar, when grouped its just lumpy gray... have you tried vertex painting? moss? color variation? or maybe a world position offset mix map?
  • Frogmafia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rocks are too similar, when grouped its just lumpy gray... have you tried vertex painting? moss? color variation? or maybe a world position offset mix map?

Right now I have a Rock and Moss texture on the rocks and paint on each one.

How would I set up a color variation or world position offset mix map?
  • Frogmafia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floatingcitywip9.jpg

Update: Updated with a new Image of where I am at. If you could not focus on the buildings, they are still incomplete.