Home General Discussion

Freelancing, being overseas

Hello people, I would like to gather information if I could from all of you about the international aspects of freelancing. I heard that companies from the US don't like to hire remote work from overseas from single freelancers, they prefer outsourcing studios. What are the reasons behind this exactly? Do outsourcing studios provide a different type of contract?

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    "I heard that companies from the US don't like to hire remote work from overseas from single freelancers, they prefer outsourcing studios."

This is not always the case. I think it would be more accurate to say that many developers are cautions about hiring subcontracting groups that are based outside of the US. I don't think there is a stigma against direct contracts between developers and individual international freelancers.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Actually those outsourcing studios will most most often than not be the ones that hire you for freelancing work.
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So people who freelance, actually do it on a global scale? So there aren't any legal barriers for a freelancer to work from for example Australia for a US client?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wawe wrote: »
    So people who freelance, actually do it on a global scale? So there aren't any legal barriers for a freelancer to work from for example Australia for a US client?

Right, no legal issues with that.

Hiring an artist to work onsite from a different country is a lot harder, but freelancing is very easy.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Wawe wrote: »

yeah that's perfectly fine.

imagine doing work for companies outside US, who's clients are in the US, while you're in the US. :poly142:
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another thing that I would ask here is about software. If a larger company contracts a freelancer, do they cover some of the software licenses perhaps? Just because it is an humungous price to get all the software. For example if I just buy a sculpting program and a 2D program like PS and plan to go with Blender for my main modelling, UVing program, what if they want .max files delivered? Or the truth is that there isn't a less expensive way to go, you have to buy everything they want you to use?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    my experience freelancing has been mainly the final output, so i wouldnt be too concerned about what program you'l be using so long as the final deliverable is there. so check with them.

as far as software is concerned, i've always had to buy my own. i've just considered this the costs of operating a business. I'm not sure what your gov. offers in term of tax breaks or business expenses, but look into it, you'l definitely save something.

most of my expenses i've been able to get something back, not all at once, but i can do quarterly write offs in ontario