Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crash_Site

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
I thought It would be time to upload something new and a great chance to get some solid feedback on a project piece I have been working on. The aim of such project was to create a poster piece regarding a scene within a possible game; I have tried to concentrate on making sure the overall image held some interesting narrative while keeping the viewer noticing more clues to its reason for being.

Your comments and constructive crits are most helpful cheers :)
http://1zoybkx.jpg

Replies

• Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's best viewed at A3 so some elements of the scene are harder to spot at the moment :(
    Cheers
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's pretty sharp, but the composition is a bit odd - it looks more like a wrecked plane in a nest, due to the way the wood has been placed around the scene ;)
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it looks like a nest. I'd put less wood more plants around that plane...

Other then that it's look very good! Great lighting
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hey there fella, I'm hoping this doesn't seem harsh it's not meant to be. Couple things stick out at me with this scene. When I picture a plane crash, I don't imagine the wings just kinda falling off the plane right next to where they were connected. It's true that there's A LOT of wood there, definitely looks like it fell in a nest, but it seems like you also gave it a pretty decent crater sort of thing as well and I don't think that really would've happened. Google image searching "plane crash" yields lots of pics, not a single crater that I can see immediately - even for planes of significantly larger size.

The way you've got it right now with the crater, the pieces being so close to the plane, and there being almost no damage whatsoever to the surrounding environment (skid trail?) - well I drew what is probably the worst image critique I've ever done because I think it illustrates what's going on in my head better than I can otherwise explain. See below:

planecrash.jpg

I think you could do with some more damage in the background, not draw focus to it but just have hints of it there, some pieces or damage to the plants indicating some path of travel, maybe throw one of both of the wings farther back or just don't have them in the image at all. And that crater/wood really throws me. It'd mess up the dirt and push some things around, but I just don't think it would change the surrounding earth itself quite like that.

Now that all being said, I do think the scene looks really nice as a whole. The damage you have to the plane looks nice and convincing, I like all the stuff you've got lying around. Just think you need some better placement for them to help it be more believable! :)

Edit: I also want to add one thing. If the scene is SUPPOSED to be that the plane is in a nest - well then...neat! Maybe some pissed of animals are using it for shelter and ate its former passengers or something. If your intended was anything close to that, two thumbs up.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, cheers for your comments. Yeah I was going for the concept that this light aircraft has possibly been picked out of the sky by some sort of creature and placed within the nest....as food. I have tried to replicate the site as mabye a feeding ground. To put a twist on it I decided to place the cessna upside down to make the impact slightly abnormal from your general crash and burn situation. I probs need to create some more damage detail to resemble the aircraft taken out of the sky, for instance claw marks or such things.

Cheers
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hey guys, cheers for your comments. Yeah I was going for the concept that this light aircraft has possibly been picked out of the sky by some sort of creature and placed within the nest....as food. I have tried to replicate the site as mabye a feeding ground. To put a twist on it I decided to place the cessna upside down to make the impact slightly abnormal from your general crash and burn situation. I probs need to create some more damage detail to resemble the aircraft taken out of the sky, for instance claw marks or such things.

Cheers

The more I looked at the picture the more I thought it had to be intentional for it to be in a nest of some sort, hence that edit in my previous post. I do think this is a cool idea, and it does read as a nest.

I think something like claw marks would be a nice touch, and also perhaps bend/break some of the surrounding trees or something? I imagine it must be a relatively large creature. Maybe some bones or something of that nature, as well? Would probably help get the idea of feeding grounds across. Perhaps even footprints of said creature, or something of the sort...

Just some ideas. Thanks for the insight into your scene.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were you, for good references and ideas I would look at crashed plane pictures from WW2 pacific where many planes ended up crashed into jungles and forest environments. You see them in just about every game that has that campaign themed and generally done well. Like COD(yuck) world at war.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message