Home Unreal Engine

Number of collision primitives supported by one static mesh export

I'm making a racetrack grandstand that the player can run around in, and due to the structure of such things - stairs, risers - there are going to need to be a lot of collision boxes if if I want the collision hull of each grandstand piece to be accurate. So how many are allowed before UDK gets angry? I was planning to make each grandstand mesh fairly large, but if I can't fit enough collision pieces in there I may have to break them up a bit.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Don't make the grandstands as one big mesh. Make them out of modular pieces.

Also you don't want accurate collision as it'll be hard to move around. For example stairs should just have a single collision box and basically just be a ramp.
  • pricej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are modular pieces, just fairly large ones. Making the stairs as a ramp sounds like a decent idea though.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no limit that I know of.. Since I like to try and break things I just imported a mesh with 1999 collision primitives and it let me do it.

Just be sensible, you don't need to build collision for places where the player will never be able to tell if he is colliding or not. For your project, I would do a box for each bench and a box for each riser, you don't need to start making collision for the individual bench supports if the player will never be able to crawl under the benches. As for the stairs it depends if you are making it for the default UDK game or a custom game, since there is a slope that the player won't be able to run up, so if the stairs are too steep you would have to make collision for each one. Otherwise yeah just make a ramp.