Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOWPOLY - Creature/Pet

Hi! We got this assigment to do a lowpoly at my school.
I decided to do a creature/pet.

We are allowed to have 500 polygons, mine is currently on 424.

Here is my concept:

conceptpet.png

and my model looks like this:

wirepersp01.png

wirepersp02.png

My Uv's looks like this:

61051669.png

Feel free to give me feedback! :)

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    sry, i'm not good at saying things nicely:

1. your beard planes could be reduced to only one plane mapped with the strands if you are going really lowpoly.
    2. you are waisting a lot of uv space
    3. the hands look way too blocky, i would chamfer t he sides a bit to make the silhouette less sharp
    4. there is no geometric detail in the face, which is bad, as the figure lives because of the cute face
    5. i think the tail is wayy to lowpoly aswell, looks a lot more elegant on the reference
    6. there is no connection between body and legs. you should also look into the flow of the mesh there, as yours is not "realistic" (as in, there are muscles)

an extra tip would be the following:
    as you are only allowed to have a very limited polycount budget you must rethink your modeling approach. you dont need quads in this one. go with tris. you must be carefull that deformable parts dont look ugly in an animation, but you dont need all quads over the whole model. i think you could save a few here and there that you could invest in other parts of t he model. my main concern is that it looks like a blob, rather than a naturally grown character.

sry, please dont take it bad :$
  • leaf3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to agree with xxmorph. You're a very capable modeller looking at your other thread. I just don't think it's possible to make a creature that detailed in under 500 polys. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    you could defiantly do a lot more with this mesh, the whiskers on the side of the face could easily be 2 polys, or if you really want to save they could both be one solid one. your using polygons on the feet that you really don't need, especially in the back. This is lowpoly man, don't be afraid of tries, they are your friend! Defiantly connect those legs and round out that tale! you could also use a few tries to round out that tuff of fur that the concept has which would save you from needing to connect the tale.
    Lastly just some silhouette issues, your mesh is much fatter then the concept and there isn't any neck to speak of.

All of this can defiantly be done with 500 polys, you just have to be wise and use some tries!

best of luck.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Your concept is very cute, but you definitely need to rethink your lowpoly mesh construction.

Here's a good example to study. The characters are somewhat similar in style and they have similar poly budgets as well:

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/finals_mini3d_564.html

For starters, you definitely need to make the character as one continuous mesh. It will actually save you polygons and look much better as well.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    leaf3d wrote: »
    Have to agree with xxmorph. You're a very capable modeller looking at your other thread. I just don't think it's possible to make a creature that detailed in under 500 polys. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Hehe, kids these days. When you get down to 16 tris you can start worrying about whether you can pull off a character. 500 is loads. :p

Andrea, it'd be worth digging through the Low Poly Art thread to see how other people have worked with similar polygon budgets:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232&page=336

All these ultra low poly threads kinda make me want to go back and do some DS res stuff.
  • leaf3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Hehe, kids these days. When you get down to 16 tris you can start worrying about whether you can pull off a character. 500 is loads. :p

I stand corrected! I'll keep an eye on this tread, seems I could learn a thing or two :P Keep at it Andrea.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    well... it may be worth digging around on sites like http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/news.php or www.wc3campaigns.net

500 polies where loads back then^^
  • leaf3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

500 polies where loads back then^^

True. I just hear people say that technology has advanced, that the poly limit has gone up and people are sacrificing quality because they are trying to achieve the lowest possible polycount.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    polycount and quality have nothing to do with each other.

Perfect recent example.
    400 tri characters and 128x128 maps
    PURE QUALITY!
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94379
  • leaf3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Ok, there's nothing more for me to say. Thank you guys. :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread Andrea.