Home General Discussion

The Ramifications of not learning Sculpting Programs?

Replies

• Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Speaking as someone who has just recently learned zbrush, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
    It literally took only one day for me to go through the very basics on their homepage (including the pdf with the links) and fiddling around with some brushes on a dynamesh and then the next day to sculpt a head (sure, a beginners head, but I'd gotten the very basics of zbrush down).

2 days. Even if you don't want to go any further down that path that's just 2 days. Those two days can surely be an eye opener either way, and you'll gain valuable insight into how your colleagues work.

You don't necessarily have to do a head either, it's just something I felt like doing because I've only done hard surface up to this point. Today I've been trying out sculpting cracked stone flooring and some metal dents in a fence.

Hard surface modelling and zbrush definitely go hand in hand.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Totally agree with Autocon. Zbrush definitely has a learning curve as well, although it's gotten better with subsequent releases. You're only going to get better with each piece you make in every program, whether its modeling, sculpting, texturing, UVing, etc. It's up to each individual artist to find what they like to work with. Just keep an open mind to new tools and techniques and you'll go further than most people.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    1magus wrote: »
    That last post is about the most mature I have seen so far.

What did you expect? You're trying to shrug off learning a new program because you feel that as an env artist, you don't need to know it? Fact aside that env artists use Zbrush, Mudbox and 3DCoat all the damn time, how could you possibly not want to learn something new? Being an artist is a nonstop learning experience. You're never where you want to be, there's always room to improve because there is always somebody better than you.

The day you stop wanting to learn or grow as an artist is the day your art career dies.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    It's not just about whether or not you learn ZBrush or Mudbox, it's about whether or not you will keep up with the latest software, tools, and methods and continue learning and acquiring newer skill sets. That will determine whether or not you succeed. Judging by your posts, you're going to have a tough time getting anywhere until you alter your mindset. As others have said - you will get left behind if you don't.

Autocon brought up a good point, your work still leaves a lot to be desired and it's clear you've still got plenty to learn within the tools you're already using. Continue improving your understanding of modeling, but also realize that the software doesn't mean shit. You'll be hard pressed to find any job if you're not willing to adapt and learn new tools. Not every studio uses Max.

All that said, being able to sculpt well is essential for pretty much any character or environment artist position.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Mcejn wrote: »
    All that said, being able to sculpt well is essential for pretty much any character or environment artist position.

If it doesn't involve sculpting then you have to be really good at hand painted textures
  • 1magus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank You Everyone for taking the time to give out the advice that you did.