Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] WCE's Axe!

Howdy, Polycount! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Before I get started, I would just like to thank Vigil Games for giving everyone this opportunity- Good Guy Vigil knows I'm not going to GDC this year and gives me something awesome and fun to spend my spring break on :)

So as I started doing explorations for my piece, I played around with the template provided to us and found that, given the dimensions of the 'head' section, I felt that it was most conducive to an axe. As such, most of my sketches are axes, but there's a mace (demon head on a spike) and a hammer (severed demon arm) for good measure. I'd love some crit and commentary before moving forward. Tomorrow (march 5) I'm going to pick 2-3 of these and refine them into final-ish concepts to take forward into modeling the base mesh. Thanks!

Replies

• brian86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am leaning on the 1st, 5 and last but with the last i would give it more bulk. it seems it would break after a few hits with it.
  • WurmcoilEli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Polycounters. Updating here with my more refined concepts based on the feedback from yesterday. Please take a few moments to peruse them and write down your honest, unfiltered thoughts for me :) Tomorrow I'm going to take two of them into base meshes, so help me narrow them down!

A quick bit about the weapons. The goal here was to create three very different concepts and keep things fairly loose moving into the 3D stage. Heavy focus on shapes and readability.

Fiendspine Reaver is a Demonic axe and my little tribute to Samael, who is a total badass and has some of the coolest shapes in his character design.

The Ravener's Horns is a Demonic hammer. There will be two horns on it. I want it to look like the mouth on the handle is throwing up the head haha.

Skull of Balam is a DS Core mace (I think? maybe a hammer...). Some ancient demon lord's skull repurposed for Death.

Infinite thanks to those who take the time to look and even more to those who give me feedback.
  • ozzmeister00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what happened, somehow the chunky bigness of the silhouettes has been lost in these concepts, or maybe I'm just now noticing it. DSII gets a lot from exaggeration of form, and you could benefit from that in all these.

I like where the spinal column-based handle is going with the Fiendspine, I think its head could roll in a more badass direction.

My concern with the Ravener's Horn is that it's not in-line with the color scheme of the Demonic stuff.