Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, nicholWorks

Hey all,

I'm a student with a focus in rigging. I saw this contest and decided to use it a way to improve my modeling/sculpting. As someone who has never played Darksiders(I don't own any consoles :/), I had to get some help from a friend with some of the over all looks that each theme utilizes. After looking around, I decided to do an Angelic themed axe.

Anyways, very much looking forward to advice/critiques!

Here's the sketch, along with a very basic color scheme test.

polycount_image.jpg

Replies

• specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    I like the idea, and don't take offense to this, but the concept is almost exactly like mine. I have a hooded angel featured in the middle with the wings forming the blades.
  • nicholWorks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, when I was researching the art style of the Angelic weapons, I noticed the hooded figures and wings were very popular.

Anyways, I've been working on the base mesh before taking it into ZBrush. Once again I'm pretty new to the whole modeling for ZBrush and such, so any critiques on the topology would be appreciated.

base_mesh.JPG
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    The topology is somewhat irrelevant if you are taking it into Zbrush. Unless you have no plan to change the basic form, after Zbrush you would retopologize the mesh so that it fits the limitations of the contest and bakes proberly. One suggestion to make Zbrush easier would be to add extra edge loops where you want your edges to stay crisp. That way, when you subdivide, you don't lose any of your form. Good luck.

Edit: I notice the part that holds the blade on the axe seems a little unstable. Maybe bulking it up a bit.
  • nicholWorks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what someone else mentioned to me, I think the four prongs that bend out need to have their size increased.

Thanks for the advice!