Home Unreal Engine

confused about UDK units and scale

DKC
DKC
Everyone says 96 udk units = 6 feet, average human height, but according to the udk wiki and a bunch of other forum posts 1 udk unit = 2 cm.

96 units x 2 = 192 cm which is like 6 foot 3.
so i dont understand how both of these can be true.

I was building basic blockout assets for my scene under the assumption that 96 units = 6 feet tall and based everything on that and when i actually imported it everything looked tiny and cramped, and i did change the world properties to UTgame. I dont know if its the fact the characters gun is huge or what but it looks like a fisher price house.

should i model without using any real world measurements and just work under the assumption that 96 units is exactly 6 feet tall and 16 units is exactly 1 foot tall even thought it isnt? How would that affect my assets if i want to import them into another engine like the cryengine?

Im really confused here so i apologize if this all sounds like incoherent rambling.

Replies

• Nelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ChangingUnits.html

In the end:
    "UE3 treats one Max Unit as one Unreal Unit, regardless of what length the units were originally set to in Max."

Not sure about that, but to me, it looks like this: wether you're modeling with centimeter/feet or whatever, in the end, UDK will read 1cm=1UU=1foot= etc etc.

the 96uu=6feet is just here to give you an idea of the scale from a player pov (as long as you don't change anything...).

Again, not sure about all of that, but don't work directly with foot/cm etc, work with simple maya/max unit, and as you said, work under the assumption that 96 units is exactly 6 feet (again, axcept if you change it ;) )
    Hope this was meaningfull ^^
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They use 96 because its 3/4 of 128, 6 foot is just a rounded off estimate, 96 should be about the average height of a person, and you can base the scale of everything else off that. Also most games try to texture 128x128 unit areas with a 512x512 textures. So a one story wall is close to 128 units tall.
  • DKC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKC
    Okay, so it seems actual real world measurements dont really matter. So ill just work on the basis that 96 units is an average human and eyeball everything to fit that but scale everything so its divisible by 2/4/8/16.

How would this affect the assets if i want to import them into the cryengine? Would i have to drastically rescale everything?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    simply put:
    as long as your art team/all of your work uses the same scale in max/maya/whatever, then it will all be "to scale" in udk. that is, they will be to scale in reference with each other.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Well magic number is 160, 192 (add 32 or 64 on top of 128) or just go with 256 high walls and fill the area with trims, pipes , natural coverage etc to make ur environment look bulky or fill :D.

even without that 256 is ok for average envirnonment you can go as high as you require.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    what the how it made this emo i just wanted to type 1 2 8 units. LOL
    my bad if that emo means something stupid.