Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Jiece

A contest of weapons, eh? Far be it from me to turn down a challenge, especially from fellow artists. It's only in this past semester (as a Game Art & Design sophomore) that I've been introduced to Zbrush and the process of baking high-poly details onto low-poly meshes, but that won't stop me from putting up a good fight against y'all!

I drew a metric crap ton of silhouettes last night, and narrowed it down to a few that I really like this evening in photoshop, so I'll post them here. In case it isn't apparent, I'm going for Crow Temple.

edit: as soon as I can figure out how to upload an image here... I'll do so.

second edit: theeere we go.

third edit: these images, I forgot to mention, are profiles and side views of three hammers, not profiles of six hammers.

Nc7Tk.jpg

Replies

• Lowpology
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpology polycounter lvl 11
    Why hello their Jiece! I like the first hammer probably the most so far though I really like the up and down spike variation in the second hammer. I think they could use a little more asymmetry in them maybe and also work the crow skulls in there more since they are a big part of the Crow Temple theme. The last thing I would say is play around with different handles too because they definitely can show the weapon off more and lead the eye!
  • Jiece
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, update time. After a few critiques, I found that everyone liked different aspects from different ideas, so... I threw them all together, then made it asymmetrical! The design is still subject to tweaks, possibly with more crow skulls to break up the purple, but I'm feeling pretty good about the silhouette. Thoughts?

Y4FZL.jpg
  • scurtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new design but I'd like to see side views of the hammer like you had in your first concept sheet. Without seeing a side view its hard to tell if the side parts of the hammer would be able to stay on and not break, because they look a little on the thin side.
  • Jiece
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Scurtis-- I'm actually working on the side view as we speak; I'll try to strain the durability/thickness of the edges as I see them in my mind.
  • Jiece
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update; too tired to articulate what I changed... you can see it for yourself, so here you are. Critiques much appreciated!

371P5.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the last concept, ading that extra skull in there makes it appear stronger as a weapon and looks cool in general!
  • ThisisCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice man! I liked how the front view turned out. Also its pretty cool how all the tips of the crow skulls line up in the front view which gives it a nice silhouette. Keep up the good work!
  • Tomahawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good try to do a bit more on the handle and its solid
  • Nae_Chaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work and progress so far Sir jiece. This really fits the style of crow temple without going all over the place. It has a really nice flow going on, on the hammer itself. I would have to agree with Tomahawk here about adding a little more weight to the handle. I would also try adding a bit more to the design where the base of the hammer meets the handle to help complete the flow of the hammer.
  • Blackstone69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blackstone69 polycounter lvl 13
    finally a CT concept i like alot very nice concept :P [thumbs up}