Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beach Bungalow

Hi, All. I have been working on this scene trying to get it to look decent. Still very much a work in progress but I think I am getting close to being done. Any critiques or suggestions are welcome.

BeachBungalow.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Overall, I'd say it's a good start.

If you're going to light it, I think it could benefit if you bring the saturation down a notch. Although it may be mainly the roof that is too bright and saturated.
    The thatched roof seems too flat, it would read better if it was a little thicker.
    Everything seems a little too, 90 degrees, I would try to get a little more random tiny rotation on props.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Thought this looked familiar...

You are pulling from this concept art: 125n8t0.jpg

Going by this I think you can include more details, sand not being a flat plane and perhaps some more direct sun style lighting with spec maps.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm. Interesting, I'm working on the exact same environment lol. When/where did you find the image, out of interest?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    PogoP wrote: »
    Hmm. Interesting, I'm working on the exact same environment lol. When/where did you find the image, out of interest?

This one was found on Coolvibe.com though i believe it originates elsewhere since coolvibe just looks for good art and posts it, they also link the artists name.
  • CCantu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday: Yup, thats my reference/inspiration although I changed alot obviously. I wanted mine to be more cartoony or stylized and only consist of diffuse textures. Some specularity allowed here and there. I am debating taking the scene into UDK. I tried before and was not getting the results I wanted. What you see is from a max viewport. I like the contrast and darker values I was getting in max. Have to figure out how to get the same results in UDK.

PogoP: Yeah, I saw your work right after I posted mine. Funny timing. Great work, btw. I found the ref from Tuomas Corpi's CGSociety page via this guys page:

http://vi.sualize.us/jvoeltner/environments/?page=6
  • CCantu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, I should have asked this earlier. Does anyone know how what post process or material effect in UDK will make the dark values darker but leave other values unchanged ?