Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Torch

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hey all, big fan of Darksiders and was really looking forward to being part of this comp :D Have put a few ideas down this morning, let me know if any are too boring or generic (still have to elongate the handle as I forgot the size of the game-ready mesh XD) Anyway any C&C welcome, cheers!

Hammaz.jpg

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    What theme are you going for? Maker?
    None of them really pop out to me just yet, but I'd pick 6, 7 and 5 to continue working from. Maybe try combining them a bit? Also, go a bit wilder with shapes alltogether. :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I like the ring at the bottom of 2 but it needs to be smaller and I'd combine it with the head and neck from 10.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    nice shapes! I dig 10. If your going for Maker it is heading in a good direction.

- BoBo
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks guys, the comments were pretty helpful :)

Decided to mix it up a bit and try make it more 'earthy'... I'm not much of a painter but trying to improve :D Still want to try some other ideas before commiting.

EDIT: Yep I was hoping to go for Maker!

hamma.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Came up with a 2nd design, but I think I'm feeling the first more. I need to get better at design to be honest :D Would be good to hear your thoughts, I'm look forward to blocking out the model soon.

hamma2.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'm also going for Maker so hopefully my feedback is useful.

It's a tough call. I love the gold trim on the first one and I originally wanted to do a ring at the bottom as well but compare it to the...bull, tiger, sabertooth thing in the second pic and visually it's less interesting.

I also prefer the face on number 2 being in the middle rather than the ends of the hammer. Also be careful of what looks like screws in the second pic as Bobo said screws look too modern.

Basically I'd try and compare the two and get the best bits out of them. The gold trim, the blue cloth for the handle, the bull thing at the bottom, the symbols on the hammer head.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hi Habboi - Thanks a lot for the feedback, I tried out a number of things in the blockout like modeling a fast (20 min) minotaur head for the base but it looked kinda weird by itself, even when I added some jagged pieces to it like in the concept. I also tried the heads on either side but didn't seem to look that good either so have gone for spikes for now - going to sketch out some more ideas in case I can come up with anything else :D

EDIT: Thought I might even round out the spikes to make them look like they were more made of rock. Have to see how it goes...

Blockout.jpg
  • ageless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your pommel looks great, Rim at center of your hammer head looks nice too. Transition handle looks ok.Keep at it...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey ageless, thanks for the comment :) I still wasn't sure about the design so did a quick revamp.

hammalaak.jpg

Going to be deciding which route to go soon, just weighing up the options :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Quick update before heading out, still got a lot of work to do on the stone and other pieces -

Hammeryagetmeh.jpg