Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, Jackablade

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
So. Lie down on ze couch and tell me vat you see.
darksidersrorschach.jpg

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    A blob that looks like a turd my cat did last night...no wait an awesome concept of a weapon for Darksiders II.

I quite like the bottom row, second from the right. Might look good with an angel woman sculpted on the curved blade in a pose.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    When using Alchemy I would be careful of letting it produce too many small, noisy shapes. A lot of your larger shapes are looking cool but the hundreds of tiny scribbles severely deteriorates their designs.

Alchemy naturally creates very sharp shapes too, so I would head towards the Demonic theme if I were you.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was mostly just going for basic silhouettes. I'll run through and clean a few of the ones I like up a bit next.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Habboi wrote: »
    A blob that looks like a turd my cat did last night...no wait an awesome concept of a weapon for Darksiders II.

I quite like the bottom row, second from the right. Might look good with an angel woman sculpted on the curved blade in a pose.

Hehe, that was the only design I thought didn't fit the proxy at all. Since it starts pretty much on the middle of the grip.

I think the top left one has the same shapes but the blade part is a bit smaller to fit the proxy better. It does however lose the "ZOMG HUGE AXE" factor.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't sleep tonight so thought I'd throw down the design that's been spinning around in my head.
    seraphaxe.jpgseraphaxe2.jpg

It's not based on any of the silhouettes I did, but I quite like how it's working silhouette-wise and thematically. With some more thought put into the design I think it could work pretty well. I think I need to make it a bit more abstract.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seraphaxe3.jpg
    Couple more variants. I think the one on the right is feeling pretty well balanced, but I think the other one could work with a little bit of tweaking. I still need to pull in closer to the Darksiders art style, but I might just jump into ZBrush and have a play around. They're all a bit delicate looking compared to designs in the game. Not entirely sure how to get that necessary chunkiness going without losing what's nice about the design I've got going.

Any thoughts?
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    I like the direction you're going, but like you said it's a bit delicate for a weapon and needs to be pushed more into the DS style. Look forward to see where you take this
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I gotta agree with afisher! The wings in DS are thick and large. as you can see in the images below. However I do like the design and direction.

Ds_uriel2-1-.jpg
    Ds_uriel4-1-.jpg

Also I will add more thickness to the spikey ring!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, now that looks like a handy reference. Thanks for that.

I'm currently reworking the weeping seraph design based on a screenshot I took of the weapon proxy, which has gone a long way to helping me get the proportions more suitably hefty. A smart person might have done that to begin with, but I never claimed to be a smart person.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seraphaxe5.jpg
    Ok, here's the Weeping Seraph mapped to the correct proportions. Still going to rework the wings, just throwing up a WIP before bed.