Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ranger character progress

Missmimic
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Missmimic polycounter lvl 7
So I'm making a ranger character for my final year project.

The character is intended to be in a similar style to Guild Wars and will involve some study of anatomy, as well as fabrics and hard surface armour.

I've enclosed some of my concepts, intended out come, and progress sculpts. any crits or comments would be really appreciated.

Now here is a bombardment of images.

SCAN0015.jpg
SCAN0016.jpg
SCAN0018.jpg
Colour.png

Sculpt.png

There are some parts of the sculpt that are a bit strange and need more work. The hands, calves and feet haven't really been touched yet so that's why they look so underdeveloped, and the trapezoid is just a tad overdeveloped.
The aim for the amount of muscle is about just below the amount of muscle a bodybuilder has, but quite toned.

Replies

• fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    There is not much to say at this stage. But sometimes people miss deadlines for worrying to much for unnecessary stuff.
    For this character I would say: Get his overall proportion done, block the main muscle mass if you want to get some volume on his clothes and then go for his armor/ clothes.
    But if you have enough time the anatomy study it is fine.
    And what you want with those thumbnails? It looks like you have already made your concept. :)
  • Missmimic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some things that I should do to the design before I go ahead with the clothes, mainly just tweaks to make sure that the one I have is the most interesting of the lot. I should really get that done soon, because the sculpt is progressing at a nice rate, based on previous sculpts I've done. :)

I'm so happy that I'm taking the time to sculpt the anatomy in, looking at how the muscles all intersect is so cool, and if I didn't look at it too much, my character would end up being a misshapen blob. Before this I wasn't too good at male anatomy.

But as an update to what I've done anatomy wise -so that this post isn't just me gushing about how awesome muscles are-, here is my progress.

Ranger_2.png

With the body, I think that the main areas that I need to work on the most are the hands and forearms. The muscle groups in the forearm are confusing.

He may also look too square in the chest area? I'm not sure, but something feels wrong there.

RangerFace_2.png
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    yeh i agree u can get away with jus blocked forms and going straigh to the clothes, you will spend time tweaking there!

anatomy crits: give him a neck by lowering those traps down, keep it convex in all views, enlarge head a bit, on the anterior superior iliac crest, thers a tendon that runs down into the outer-thigh, this will fill out that odd looking hollow you have there (lookup tensor fascae latae..(sp?)).., obliques can come higher up, make lats more broader ,and thicken those fricken forearms and hands.

recheck the 8head rule etc.

keep it up and keep it loose, go for a nice lookin sillouehette (sp?) rather than going for all the tiny dimples . tbh you're pretty much there jus shift bits around .

good luck!
  • gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gdsworld polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Helen, I say have a strong base to work from. You don't need to go overboard with the details but it won't hurt getting the basic proportions right. Great start. ;)

This is a nice reference to nail down the landmark areas http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59061
    and also have a quick look at this tutorial http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/male-torso-drawing.html
  • Missmimic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a long time and very little progress, here is what has been done.

Ranger_3.png

Ranger_4.png

The folds in the fabric is a bit too soft, especially on the trousers and extra folds around where the knees are, especially at the back.
    Where the straps are, there needs to be more definition of how it's affecting the fabric underneath.
    Plus the sculpting I need to do on the unfinished areas.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I would have focused on proportions first, his hands for example are super tiny!