Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Writer's Block

deskwip10.jpeg

Hi! I'm relatively new to polycount :) I'm graduating in spring and trying to refine some portfolio pieces. I would really like some advice on this one. I'm going for a cluttered, natural feeling workspace.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knew this would be good from the title. It really has that eccentric messy den feel to it. I would try to find an alternative background for outside though. I know that part is generally not a focal point but what's out there at the moment looks like a stylised painting at the wrong angle for what it should be for a building across the street.

Those little issues are making it a focal point when it shouldn't be. Lastly I'm not sure what's happening with that paper? pinned to the wall left of the window it looks like it should be hanging forward more given the slope its on.

I look forward to seeing the books and files textured I think your onto a good'n.
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Hello Kemny,
    This is looking nice. I agree the modeling really has that messy feel and I really like it. Like Phil101 said there is someting wrong with the sky and globally the lighting is not really consistent : if you keep that kind of sky and since there is no clouds in it your shadows should probably be more sharp (and the shadows of the blinds can produce interesting effects). Also you can try to match your lighting's colors to the background (the BG seems yellowish and your light looks pure white). In the end the BG is a small part of the final picture but since you don't have any artificial light source switched on then only the sky should influence the lighting for colors, orientation, and strength so take some time to pick up one you like and then follow it for your lighting. Then once you're satisfied with exterior lighting you can put some artificial lighting and find a good balance between exterior/interior lighting.
    I hope this is not too redudant and that it's helpfull. Keep on :)
  • kemny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies! I spent a while trying to find a more suitable image for outside, I think the new one is much better. The other major change in this update is that all of the books/folders are now textured...I wrote a script to assign random colors within a given range, available here. The script also will sample multiple textures from one file and randomly assign them to objects. I used this to put titles on the books, although you can't really tell in this small render. I'll add a close up render soon!

deskwip3.jpeg

I would like to experiment with the lighting more, especially blinds shadows like lkblue mentioned. Thanks again for the feedback, Phil101 too!