Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hovar the Viking

Hey guys,

Been working on this character during my free time, thought I could use some feedback from you 3D gurus out there. Always open to constructive criticism to improve my ability as a 3D artist.

My aim was to go for a cartoony viking with exaggerated proportions.
So far got the normal map on the base mesh and did some rough coloring of the diffuse map.

Thanks!

hovar_progress.jpg

hovar_progress2.jpg

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome to polycount! :D

I am going to address more what you said than the work itself because so far that seems to be the biggest problem.
    antimatik wrote: »
    So far got the normal map on the base mesh...

So with this statement I am assuming you sculpted a highpoly from your basemesh and then you cast to the basemesh. I would say that this is incorrect. A basemesh is only meant for one thing... Preparing and sculpting your highpoly. You wouldn't want to use the basemesh for the final mesh. You would either go through and optimize to a reasonable midpoly character or take it to a lowpoly for a game. Meaning that you would need to create a whole new mesh and then cast your highpoly to that new mesh.

Basemeshes generally become trash after sculpting the high because they are only for that.

Now with that being said... what direction were you planning on taking this? I said you could make it midpoly or lowpoly because I didn't know if it was for game or cinematic type stuff.

Nothing is extremely wrong with your art itself, in fact you are doing pretty good... you just need to ground yourself on the direction you are taking and the technical side of things. :D

Keep it up!
  • antimatik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey jeremiah,

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I was actually aiming to go for an in-game model.

I appreciate the corrections, it really gave me a good insight!