Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ghastly Graham

Hello, I am a pirate. Qu, qu,

It's been a while since I did anything cg, trying to rectify that, so here is what I'm working on now:

JSol_Ghastly_WIP.jpg

Just in the early blocking phase, I think the next step is a quick and dirty uv layout so I can try some colors on him. I also need to refine the skull more, the forms are a little mushy in places.

I would love to hear some criticism, so that I can make adjustments before I start adding more detail. I'm not completely married to his proportions or anything yet. So, if you have anything to contribute, thanks in advance!

Replies

• CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update, I've been tinkering with his proportions. I lengthened the legs quite a bit.

Also, now with wireframe turned on.

JSol_Ghastly_WIP_PropTweak.gif
  • CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again with an update.

Did a quick uv layout and color treatment. I'm still pretty newb when it comes to color design, so crits would be greatly appreciated.

JSol_Ghastly_WIP_02.gif

Just about ready to detail this guy,
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Really cool design man, I just noticed the shoes and now they're my favorite part.

Are you planning on zbrushing him, or is it going to be a diffuse-only character?

I realize these are just placeholder colors right now, but you might want to brighten up the jacket slightly so details are easier to read. On the upside, the dark colors are making the silhouette very easy to see. The proportions are already looking great, but maybe try playing with the length and fatness of the arms, something about their shortness is bothering me.... but that could just be me.
  • Strkl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Looks nice ! The green is a bit to much hard, it would be nice to have some variations, like some yellows here and there

The top of the coat (I don't know the world in english sorry), the scarf thingy, and the coat itself are really dark, we can't really separate them, you could add some more contrast between those. And maybe you chose a bright color for the socks (Re-use the orange on the fez for example)

Sorry for my english :p
  • CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, T

I might Zbrush parts of him, the skull for instance, but I think I'd rather keep him as simple and low-poly as possible.

I'm still working on the color design, so yeah the coat will need some work. I'm trying to use a triad color scheme, and then within each of the three main colors and analogic sub-scheme.

I'll experiment with the arms, they are a bit stubby now that I've extended the legs, and I might tinker with the legs as well, their looking a chicken-y.

and Strkl also, thanks,

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for a more yellowish shade of green.

The socks are going to be black with orange argyle pattern, to match the fez yes.

The scarf-y thing is a fur collar, ala Edward Gorey, I still need to work on the color combo on the jacket, but I'll be sure to brighten them.
  • CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another little update with adjustments based on some of the crits I received. Also flat shaded for a clearer look at the colors and forms.

JSol_Ghastly_WIP_03.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    great update! Arm cuffs look great
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    really is a great update. Character has a nice form to him. Look forward to seeing how you handle the textures.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's got a real Grim Fandango feel about him at the moment. Any chance you'll be carrying Day of the Dead styling further?

Looking forward to seeing where you take this guy
  • CapnPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoy, ahoy, I am not dead, but I had a cold.

I'm preparing another update on this character, but I'm not ready to show it yet.

However, I ran into a technical problem while detailing the tassel on his fez hat, and I wanted to share the solution!

I wanted a braided cord for the tassle, so I made a helix-y shape that was about appropriate, and then I extruded it along a curve to create. In order to fake the braided effect, I needed it to twist along the curve, but for some reason the maximum allowed Twist value in the Extrude Face Options dialogue is 180.0000. Not nearly twisty enough for the effect I was going for.

I found, however, that if I go into the list of INPUTS for the object, and select the polyExtrudeFace procedure in the list, I can open it and set Twist to whatever value I like, in this case, about 720.

JSol_ExtrudeCurve_Troubleshoot.gif

It works okay, though I would like a little more control over how much Twisting occurs along specific portions of the curve.

Hope this proves useful, and if you have an alternative solution or approach, please do share,