Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Unity Environment Texturing Help

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
I'm working on a unity environment for class. I want to make it look great in the time I have. I have a bunch of modular assets created, but The textures need work. (see example below)

Basically the textures were just images online to save time, but I dont want them to look like textures I grabbed online, so I'm going to try and break them up in places with moss, rust, etc. I just need some help with how to make it believable (in the time I have of course)

Here's an example of what I have so far:

house1_by_superdenny707-d4ra3a3.jpg

Replies

• iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO would make it seem less flat, if youre presenting it in UDK you can use decals for the moss and dirt etc
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Its a good start, but how about looking at some reference images on google, that way you have something to look at and see if you can mimick it in game.

I googled "old wooden shed" and came up with these.

custom_shed_old_barn_lumber.jpg
    600-02289849w.jpg

This one would be sweet to use as a reference. the natural growth of the vines would make it look great in game!
    thee-old-wood-shed-dewey-wonch.jpg

notice the color change as the wood has weathered.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iWeReZ wrote: »
    AO would make it seem less flat, if youre presenting it in UDK you can use decals for the moss and dirt etc

I have to use Unity for the project (athought UDK would be more fun). And the only AO I will have will be from the lightmap bake, since it is a modular environment.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    Its a good start, but how about looking at some reference images on google, that way you have something to look at and see if you can mimick it in game.

I googled "old wooden shed" and came up with these.

custom_shed_old_barn_lumber.jpg
    600-02289849w.jpg

This one would be sweet to use as a reference. the natural growth of the vines would make it look great in game!
    thee-old-wood-shed-dewey-wonch.jpg

notice the color change as the wood has weathered.

thanks! that's actually a great reference. I was hoping to do something like that with the vegetation, but the only way I know how would be to use planes with alpha textures and I'm not trying to go overboard on transparent textures. Is there another way to create those kinds of details?
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Unity has an SSAO shader, although it's Pro-only. (Then again, if you have the student version, I believe you also have access to Pro features... although I could be wrong.)

I find that roofs almost always overlap the walls, to prevent rain and other elements from leaving horrible streaks down your walls. Same thing with doors and windows, which are almost always inset into the building. Yours looks like a structure that's been turned inside-out. :P
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    Unity has an SSAO shader, although it's Pro-only. (Then again, if you have the student version, I believe you also have access to Pro features... although I could be wrong.)

I find that roofs almost always overlap the walls, to prevent rain and other elements from leaving horrible streaks down your walls. Same thing with doors and windows, which are almost always inset into the building. Yours looks like a structure that's been turned inside-out. :P

youre right 0_0 I hadn't paid those little details any attention. Thanks for picking up on that. I'll have to look into the SSAO shader, I have access to unity pro on the cpus at school.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    your normal maps seem like theyre generated from the base texture, comes across like old school bumpmaps, try generating them from geometry- good start though!
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp wrote: »
    your normal maps seem like theyre generated from the base texture, comes across like old school bumpmaps, try generating them from geometry- good start though!

I'll bake what I can, but I won't be doing a lot of baking to conserve time
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had to scrap part of my initial idea, and scale back to just working on the town square part of this town. Here are some screenshots of the town so far, the class project is done, but I'm continuing this on my own for practice. due to time (and ability) constraints, I had to reuse a lot of assets to make the town seem more full and populated.

I tried to apply some grunge to the wood, and apply AO like it was suggested before.
    Here are some screen shots:

Barrels.jpg

gazebo.jpg

Hotel.jpg

SaloonGeneral.jpg

Square.jpg

WaterTower.jpg

Any and all comments and critiques (especially texturing related) are welcome and appreciated
  • AmbiguousPackage
    First off how are you doing your textures? Are you doing 1 to 1 unwraps or are you tiling them out of the 1 to 1?

Second the text on the signs looks way to fabricated. What I mean by that is it looks like they were typed up and slapped on the texture. It does not have that older feel to it. I would expect to see some cracking and rubbing off of the text exposing some wood under it.

Got to cut this short wife is calling me, cheers and gl
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off how are you doing your textures? Are you doing 1 to 1 unwraps or are you tiling them out of the 1 to 1?

Second the text on the signs looks way to fabricated. What I mean by that is it looks like they were typed up and slapped on the texture. It does not have that older feel to it. I would expect to see some cracking and rubbing off of the text exposing some wood under it.

Got to cut this short wife is calling me, cheers and gl

I kept everything in the 1:1 space, although some sections may be stacked to save space. The textures still tile (I created a tiling pattern brush from a tiling texture in Photoshop), and I did my best to make sure they are aligned correctly.

The text is just a text layer with a downward bevel, didn't add any wear and tear, I'll definitely have to add that since it stands out so much tho.