Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d game animation reel

Hello all!
That's my demo reel.
Its render ingame animation.
short version:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Jvr4AxTdk"]3D game Lead animator showeel by Barnev Pavel - YouTube[/ame]
full version:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/CLtTKU2cScA

Full version all characters check on my channel on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/barnevpavelt34

Ready to freelance

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Barnev, I really like the animations, they are all very interesting and really smooth, good job there!
    The presentation of the animations (rendering etc.) is really nice as well..

The duration of your reel is way way too long. Over 6 minutes of animation. No HR dude or whoever will look at your reel will spend so much time watching your stuff. Pick out your favorite and best animations and trim the duration of the reel down to roughly 2 minutes.

The next thing. I dont know if you have it already, but you definitely should have a breakdown list somewhere accessible. Especially for the cutscenes at the end of your reel. You should write down exactly what you did (for instance: Animated the two guards on the right, the main enemy character and camera ), since that doesnt leave room for misinterpretation by the people repsonsible for hiring.

I would also recommend a portfolio website, where you can gather your contact information, resume, breakdown list and reel. You need to make your information, like i already said, as accessible as possible and with the website you can achieve that.

Anyway, reaally cool animations man, good luck!

edit: I saw that you already have a breakdown in your reel, but I meant a list on your website, where one can easily look up the breakdown for every scene in your reel.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Hah, this is just awesome :)
    Really liked that monster with the little girl, thats was a cool set of animations.

Agree that your reel is to long and with the rest that MiAIx said, so not going to repeat everything :)
  • Barnev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Barnev, I really like the animations, they are all very interesting and really smooth, good job there!
    The presentation of the animations (rendering etc.) is really nice as well..
    Thank you very much)
    The duration of your reel is way way too long. Over 6 minutes of animation. No HR dude or whoever will look at your reel will spend so much time watching your stuff. Pick out your favorite and best animations and trim the duration of the reel down to roughly 2 minutes.
    You are right! But so hard to throw good work!
    The next thing. I dont know if you have it already, but you definitely should have a breakdown list somewhere accessible. Especially for the cutscenes at the end of your reel. You should write down exactly what you did (for instance: Animated the two guards on the right, the main enemy character and camera ), since that doesnt leave room for misinterpretation by the people repsonsible for hiring.
    I animated everything! Camera, scenario, primary animations. I wrote about it.

Thank you! I'm sure I will take note of your words)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, lots of really great stuff! The monster attack moves at the beginning were my favourite anims. I agree with Stromberg90, that girl and monster were lots of fun!

My only crit is what the others have already said--make it shorter! Otherwise, a pleasure to watch. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    What the hell is this from? I must have this game lol.

Great animation, did you use noise controllers for all that muscle shaking?

Why the awkward camera angle though? I think the animations would look even nicer from a different perspective.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Great job, I love your work :thumbup:
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Crazy, awesome stuff man! Really smoothly animated! I really loved those lizard/dragon things, the way they moved made em look really menacing. If I had to pick something to rant about, I'd also suggest you to cut the reel down at least 50 % just to maintain the interest a bit better. Not that your work was awful by ANY standard, but it just tends to get a bit boring in the later part with all the sword fighting and stuff. Also, during the later fight scenes I felt the camera was too close to the action to get a good grasp of the scene as a whole.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome ! :D probably on my top 3 reels i have ever seen!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Yeah, incredible style and skill! Congrats for being so awesome!
  • woodesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, really nice.

my favourite has to be the possessed girl monster. the death reminded me of the heart of darkness.
    the initial scenes all look turn based, but i can't figure out what game there from.
  • Barnev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    What the hell is this from? I must have this game lol.

Great animation, did you use noise controllers for all that muscle shaking
    No. Game engine not support muscle) Joints only.
  • Barnev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really loved those lizard/dragon things
    Thank you. I love its too))
    Also, during the later fight scenes I felt the camera was too close to the action to get a good grasp of the scene as a whole.
    camera and the scene - a single unit. They can not be separated)
  • Barnev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woodesh wrote: »
    Awesome stuff, really nice.

my favourite has to be the possessed girl monster. the death reminded me of the heart of darkness.
    the initial scenes all look turn based, but i can't figure out what game there from.
    Thank you/.
    Yes, initaial scenes from turn-based game
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    This is crazy amazing. Wish US games overall had a little bit more of the personality that's oozing from some of this stuff.
  • lewisgarthmana
    Your work is so great,animation the over all is so awesom You can check the animation is the way forward in digital marketing, if you want your business to get ahead, you should try it out as soon as possible. visit their site http://splurj.com/animation/
  • PitelinM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PitelinM polycounter lvl 8
    Really great stuff. Im not an animator so I cant give you much of a critique, but what I will say, movement of the creatures is too fast. I think it lacks feel of weight and momentum. More time to start move and more time to stop it would help. Like the guy riding creature and slashing others with a sword. You just dont feel hits because they all are too fast. But again, Im not an animator, I just tried 2d animation long time ago, and this would probably be more my personal preference that objective critique. You animation are really good quality.

кхм,и перестань использовать гребанные скобки, кхм...