Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi RTS - Unit Concepts

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Memory polycounter lvl 10
Hey, working on a scifi RTS-type game. Looking to see which concepts for a standard ground soldier.

conceptpost.png

Proportions can change...looking to do a mix between Starcraft Marine, GOW armor, and similar chunky-gritty scifi. Let me know what's interesting.

-Memory

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, i like the Proportions of where these guys are going. I cant say that i like the shape language all that much though, its a weird mix of primitives and organic shapes.

I'd personally put a bit of focus on trying to work out what sort of shape language you want to use throughout the units of the game.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its kind of silly doing these front-profile thumbnail drawings for characters that will be view at a more top down 70-45 degree angle. You have to plan that game and the art all around that camera perspective. 1 2 and 4 look pretty different from the front, but from a top/angled perspective all you are seeing is there's size and huge shoulder pads, and they would look pretty much the same. Once you got the ideas for the shapes from the game play perspective you can then develop that from a front perspective.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Muzz wrote: »
    shape language

Could you explain what you mean by this? /noob question
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    @Weirdboy, I was in the process of PMing Muzz the same question.

@ZacD, Thanks, you're right. What would you recommend to get a better looking concept? I'm afraid to put too much detail into a single sketch because I'm not sure which direction to head in because Muzz is right, it's a weird combo for sure.

I actually tried to piece something like this together in max last night and I just got lost trying to add depth.

-M
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To me, shape language has a lot to do with visual weight and the silhouette. Does the characters have more mass in places that give the character more powerful traits and personality that matches the rest of the design?

cnmiW.png

That is how I would start out, just doodle on top of a person at the right perspective, and also think about what size they are going to be in game, and exaggerate their features and differences, the lower right tiny images is about what size its going to be in game. Also look at starcraft and other rpgs and see what they do to show differences, and see what characters are hard to tell apart.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Shape language is one of my favorite topics!

It is the collection of shapes that you use to form your creations. Think of it similar to how somebody would dress themselves in the morning, What colours and what clothes go together, you wouldn't wear a red button up shirt with blue short shorts. Shapes are similar in that some go well together with other and so choosing a pallet of shapes that work well together is what will help give a distinctive art style.

Have a look at stuff like this, http://izmojuki.tumblr.com/ and compare the shapes used to something like this, http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6:t34-tacobeetle-fire-beetle&catid=6:other&Itemid=16 They are both really industrial but they get a different feel because of the shape language :).