Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Weapons WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dpeteuil polycounter lvl 8
I wanted to work on some low poly hard surface models. I need to work on texturing, especially hard surface, so I would love to hear some critiques on the Makarov texture(or anything else). other two are high poly still.

F98eP.jpg

f0UUW.jpg

5UVtA.jpg

Replies

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    What kinds of references did you use for the Makarov texture? It seems to be a bit lacking in basic material definition, as the metal is stony (due to the strong overlay forming the base of the diffuse) and the bakelite is lacking its distinctive sheen and seems to have the wrong kind of wear. Try getting as close as you can to the materials you see in a set of reference images using only flat colors in your diffuse/spec/gloss (check all that apply) and only then move on to adding overlays and textural details. The stronger foundation will help a lot

It's hard to crit the models right now right now because the presentation leaves them very blown out. It's hard to judge the quality of modeling of individual parts because it's just light on light. Try using a darker material, definitely a darker background, and a clear glossy specular (so that edge width can be easily seen, smoothing problems become obvious, etc.)
  • dpeteuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so i adjusted the materials a bit, so here it is with flat colors, then with textures and also a few of my reference pics. The ref isn't quite as beat up as I wanted, the bottom pic has some roughness that I looked at. I'm making it for a sort of post-apocalyptic type character. In that sense i wanted the gun to look more like it has been around awhile and has the wear to show the character is just using whatever he can find. Anyway, more critiques are always helpful.

3Q6gn.jpg

CZUMC.jpg

FCB9Q.jpg
  • dpeteuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scaled back a little bit of the roughness.
    JCnFB.jpg
  • dpeteuil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an axe. critiques are very welcome!

WKVec.jpg