Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mech guy bust

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
Hi All,

Lurked around this forum for a long time, finally plucking up the courage to post something I'm happy with!

This is my first (almost) finished full Zbrush sculpt. I started this a long time ago with the intention of learning ZBrush - getting to grips with hard surface and organic stuff at the same time..I recently picked this back up and decided to re-work it based on newer influences and inspiration, and finally take it to a place I'm happy with.

The idea behind this sculpt is one of bio-cybernetic symbiosis, which has failed and is becoming assimilation - the character has been quite seriously injured, and the organic-metallic symbiote was implanted to save him. It replicated and grew, integrating itself with its host, initially successful - but is now expanding, threading tendrils and slowly assimilating him. (I read too much SF :D )

Anyway, I wanted to go for an organic hardsurface look for the metal bits - influences for this are Dark Sector, Deus Ex:HR, Geiger (naturally) among others. Anyway enough talking, here it is - I look forward to hearing what you guys think about this, Thanks for looking :D

MetalGuy_Render.jpg

Replies

• Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone out there?
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sean_rodrigues polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, that's a pretty good start. At first glance, I like it. Are you going to take the mech/ cyber part of the design further? Personally, I would like to see some story in the design. Who is this character, what is his purpose; his job? Put some of his nationality or culture into the design. Light up the cyber eye. Put more tubes and lights on the mech stuff.

Sean
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    u too good so dey no comment .. great work
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its certainly well done. The anatomy seems a smidge under developed- especially in regards to the planes of the face.

At first glance, the mechanical bits look more like some kind of organic, rock or bone type material. At a closer glance there's some really nice forms going on, but I feel it needs to be taken a bit further to be read as "mechanical / hard surface"

The attention to detail in the hair line is awesome!
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the replies guys :D

@sean_rodrigues: Thanks man, I'm glad you like it! Yeah, I'd like to expand upon his back story, give him more of an identity - and lighting up the eye is a must I agree!

@shawnell3d: Thanks! I'm certainly not too good lol but I appreciate the kind words

@konstruct: Thanks mate, I'm always looking to improve and will definitely give those links a look :) Regarding the mechanical bits, my aim was to actually go for a more organic-metallic look, as most of the hard surface stuff I had seen others do was much more mechanical/manufactured in appearance - As I mentioned in the short back story above, I wanted this to look like it had grown out of him after being implanted, combining elements both mechanical and organic in appearance.

Thanks again for the kind comments guys :D