Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scarytale of Horrors (Environment WIP)

Hey everyone, just started a new project with a few friends so I thought id start a thread to track my progress from concept to final product.

PREMISE: A fairytale village where everything has gone wrong, goldilocks was killed the three little pigs became sunday breakfast etc. It will be a game enviro with strict texture budgets and a 15k tri limit.

Hopefully upload my concept tonight or tomorrow. Im doing the exterior environment based on jack and the beanstalk and my friends will be doing seperate houses in the village, but for the purposes of this thread ill leave it to just my work, then at the end show you all everything done and dusted :)

Oh and we will be using gamebryo as our engine, stay away from all those make awesome buttons in UDK etc. Haha

Look forward to hearing your comments and crits.

Replies

• njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick sketch and beanstalk ideas... not great with 2d, also its like 2am so probably not the bestwork possible

concept.jpg

beanstalk_sketches.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final beanstalk concept, more like a tree with recessed roots. Let me know what you think

concept_2.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on the modelling. starting to realise my distaste for environments

environment_update.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started instancing things to populate the world

[IMG][/img]environment_update2.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey nick. Looking good so far, love those tree concepts.

One question. Was the village going to be under the tree still? if so scale wise that bridge looks a little big
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so lovely ol maya crapped out so ive had to start again :( will upload pics later tonight
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Good habit that I have got into is when starting a new scene is save it immediately, and then ctrl+s all the fucking time lol.
    Also setting up autosave as a backup is a good idea to.
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh i need to start saving in iterations, i do it in zbrush but in maya i dont :( obviously from now on i will.... :P
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay here is the latest update and tbh im so ticked off. really not liking environments, and really wanting this to be over so i can do character stuff. Wrong attitude i know but after the crash my drive has just disapeared.

full_environment.jpg

Looking bare i know, after following some advice i have decided to complete all my assets and then instance them around the joint and populate the rest of the world... this is what ticks me off the most because it looks like ive made no progress. technically i havent made much progress

lamppost.jpg

Just a better view of some assets.

Crits welcome and prefered, although i probably wont listen to crits about my attitude haha i love doing this its just when things go horribly wrong and you need to restart from scratch with less than half the time to do it..... im sure youve all been there before.

rant over :P

Look forward to hearing from you guys.
  • Licksynth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I'm in the same group as Nick working on the three pigs section. Here is a preview of my WIP, feedback much appreciated!

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

view3.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so ive instanced everything around and populated the world, looks a bit better. gonna do some more texturing over the weekend and setup the skydome properly. the ground texture is done via a shader written by some of my coders so as a result it wont show up until the final render. which sucks for the time being. Still need to do the beanstalk tree thing, sculpt and texture. Cant wait for this assignment to be over, learnt loads from doing it but environments are definatly not my strong suit. looking forward to having some free time to do personal projects too :)
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attatching the image come in handy sometimes too

update_17-3.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpted and painted the beanstalk, only spent 30minutes on it... really need to get this assignment done by monday and i have work so not much time to finish it off... after this all i have left is the other part of the beanstalk and then gonna do some flora and fauna to populate the left hand side, so it looks more lush....

beanstalk_Sculpt.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: More textures, need to fix the water somehow... two days to go until its due, looking forward to saying goodbye to this assignment haha. Really like my lamposts haha

test_319.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so ive finally got the entire scene together now :) got light baking to do today and then she will be more or less finished, just remap the textures and its all good. Gonna bring the environment into cryengine 3 on the weekend too hopefully, just to see the difference and also because i plan on using the cryengine a lot more this year :)

20-3.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for my final update until its put together inside of cryengine (yum). Not happy with myself on this assignment, gonna work my ass off over my break to produce some awesome character stuff, check out my threads for those :)

final_enviro.jpg