Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Alter WIP

Hey everyone, starting up a new environment piece. I got this concept from google images. I googled the image name and it brought me here http://daedalus.progressive-works.de/?cat=6 So the concept credit goes to him.

3sVy2.jpg

So far I have a very basic blockout in Max trying to get the shapes down.

gAusm.jpg

I am stumped at how to get the extruded sides of the alter down, any help would be really appreciated or tips. Also, any suggestions so far.

Thanks.

Replies

• TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update, maybe this will reel in some replies. :)

ibTl2.jpg
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tough to really comment at the moment. It is a simple scene, and the thing that makes the concept interesting is the lighting. I think it has the potential to be good in 3D, but you will really need to make sure you present it well, ie. match that saturated lighting, get the blue light shafts in there, and make the torch fire effect look cool.

Also, the painting is very rough, so you will need to fill in a lot of stuff that isn't there. Take a look at WoW dungeons and see the way they populate the extra space for ideas.

edit: as for the extruded sides, just make them seperate geo. That will cut out a few edge loops and you can also go back and remove the bevel (or chamfer, w/e it's called in Max) you have on the corner edges.

Good luck
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's for the reply Sgt.
    Thinking about it now, you're right, this is a pretty simple scene. I will defiantly do my best to recreate it.

The extruded edges were separated geo. Might be the render, but the side, is just that extruded edge.

Thanks for the reply :)