SiegePerilous
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
Most Recent:

torsoplatesturns.jpg

torsoplatesfcu.jpg

torsoplates34up.jpg

^^^came back and worked on this some more. I've built most of the torso plates now.

robosk2turns.jpg

robosk234s.jpg

Been working on the sketch for this fellow as part of a hard surface modeling tutorial (a subject I'm trying to learn). Any critiques would be welcome. I mostly like it but am still trying to get it to feel really integrated.

Ultimately, my plan is to use HPolish and Mask/Extract plates and surfaces and cut them with Mask Curve.

robosketchfb.jpg

robosketch34fb.jpg

Replies

• supefranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He still looks kinda organic, shapes are too smooth. Use trim dynamic brush, see what will happen :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    What's the troll with the legs? Fellow fellow

legs - especially feet- look inverted, then your whole design fail to convince me, because I can only see that personally.
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed legs and stance and feet. Changed length of arms. Separated upper and lower torso pieces and changed the torso and hips.

Been using some trim dynamic and some hpolish but I am not too worried about it right now since I'll do a lot of that when extracting.

robosk2turns.jpg

robosk234s.jpg
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paroxum - thanks for clarifying, I'm in a hurry to move forward with this and had no idea what you were saying. I agree the legs were quite wonky.

I dunno if you still don't like em but I like the changes I've made to the proportions and am actually pretty happy with the legs and feet now.

Still need to tilt him forward a bit, clean up a bit, maybe work over the head again, but otherwise pretty happy.
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    torsoplatesturns.jpg

torsoplatesfcu.jpg

torsoplates34up.jpg

There's still a lot of clipping since I'm still noodling the torso but it's getting there. Couldn't resist throwing on some of the little details from the alphas in the tutorial.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesus I thought it's koufuyo thread again.
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a search to find out what you were talking about there do seem to be a few threads named "fellow". Maybe I should change the name. I never know what to name things.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    uncle wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA! Exactly what I though!

Honestly, don't change the title, just because one peep-squeak sullied the name 'fellow' doesn't mean you shouldn't use it ;P

As for the model, I hope you're making each set of 'pieces' in separate tools? Last thing you need is your 6 pack to be part of the main mesh and not be able to rub it out.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    uncle wrote: »
    OMG me to lolll.

I like the body, but you need to rework the feet and legs. It looks like he cant even balance himself.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    You got my hopes up that this was a koufuyo thread. That guy is so entertaining. :(
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    No meat-brain-fellows in this thread :(

This is looking good, but he is still pretty lumpy. I'd love to see what reference you're working from. Where are you going with the head? The torso is definitely getting there. The little bridge / clamp / thing that goes from the collarbone area up to the shoulder looks like it could be refined more. Right now it sort of has a dent in the top of it that does not look like it belongs.
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the model, I hope you're making each set of 'pieces' in separate tools? Last thing you need is your 6 pack to be part of the main mesh and not be able to rub it out.

yeah they are all separate tools although some are mirrored pairs via subtool master.
    I like the body, but you need to rework the feet and legs. It looks like he cant even balance himself.

I agree, and I'll fix his balance when I work on the legs.
    You got my hopes up that this was a koufuyo thread. That guy is so entertaining.

There there. If there's anything I can do to make it up to you let me know.
    This is looking good, but he is still pretty lumpy. I'd love to see what reference you're working from. Where are you going with the head? The torso is definitely getting there. The little bridge / clamp / thing that goes from the collarbone area up to the shoulder looks like it could be refined more. Right now it sort of has a dent in the top of it that does not look like it belongs.

I'm working from general mechanical ref photos but no concept art I just sketched out a reference mesh in ZBrush and found something I liked.
    I will definitely go back and do something with the strip attaching the shoulder/collarbone. It looked bare before like it needed to be attached. I might tuck in the top of that piece. I also want to make a repeatable piece for the spine.