Home Technical Talk

looking for advice/tips on modular enviornment

PVJ
PVJ
Im planning on making a modular environment based on this concept art i found, and im looking for advice from someone thats done modular environments or anyone that would like to give any tips/advice.

Im going to model the chair/computer/door/window bar thing as separate objects and im ok with that

Its the floor/ceiling/walls that im looking for advice on.

Should I model each part(cubicle separator, wall/ceiling panel) as separate objects with their own maps or use 1 map with all the textures i need?
If I do go the 1 map route how would I do the separate numbers above each cubicle?

Id07a.jpg

Replies

• Catiybrak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally I would advise to create unique textures for small assets like crates and other objects, but put walls, floors or whole houses on one single texture atlas, as long as the belong to the same environment. It doesn't make sense for objects, that never share screen space, to share textures.
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    Catiybrak wrote: »
    Generally I would advise to create unique textures for small assets like crates and other objects, but put walls, floors or whole houses on one single texture atlas, as long as the belong to the same environment. It doesn't make sense for objects, that never share screen space, to share textures.

yeah the misc stuff and tech stuff are all gonna be separate objects for sure.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, search for snefner here, he made props and whole enviro with 512z256 texture :D. Ok my point was not to bring you down but to bring it in your head that with Modular a lot is possible.

Looking at your concept i feel like stealing it and make my own enviro too, but im already making one :D so may b next time :).

Neways with a quick look at concept i see you only need 6 Major pieces or Units/ blocks, Wall section, Pillar on right that make window like opening, Large Floor piece, Large Roof piece, 2 Trim pieces for left and right.

My advice you go with one texture route as it will save you lot of time modelling, as for numbers Im sure you can use them as Decals.

at the end of the day is all preference of users, After a year learning on my own Modular stuff I think its waste of time to model high poly first than low than texture, instead i prefer making nice huge texture sheet (with lots of planing ) than breaking chunks out of it and making stuff :D, + you can still make highpoly from low poly to get extra smoothing in normals later on. Bevel edges and Chamfering on low poly are your friends these days :D.

For solving your numbers on wall :D
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html

and to get an idea of what i mean by one sheet and taking chunks off of it :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxdjc2a7Toc"]UDK Modular Tutorial by FahadKM - YouTube[/ame]
  • Eric Chadwick
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    @Hawk

Wow thanks a lot for the info. Il go with the texture sheet then and if it works out il probably add some hallways along with storage/utility type rooms in addition to the concept room.

@Eric thanks for the link, il look through some of those.