Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular wall section (Xcom fan thing)

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
this is something I have been nursing the desire to do for quite a while. finally getting around to it this is my first bit. I wanted to put in something that could be dropped in to break up the flat panneled walls.

anyone that played the original UFO game knows that the walls and floors were, by design, pretty simple. so this I a bit of a break from it. I want to try and drag the old school design and a modern take together and meet in the middle. I don't want it too dears of war and I also don't want it to look too isometric/manga-esque ill be posting the final part of this wall panel and then ill move onto the flatter plainer parts of the set. this is for a portfolio so if you want to crit things, go mad. I'm always happy to get crits on my work :)

modularwall001.jpg

Replies

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. I should have known that was too small to net me a reply :P ill have to try harder
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    it seems good, i think like it more than textures from the new remake.
    but the pic looks like you sharpened the shit out of it or like you have display issues. it's painful to look at in any case.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you baked from low to high here? Or have you used Ndo? Like Blaisoid says, it looks like you've sharpened it too much. Theres so much aliasing in some areas I cant make out certain parts.

Wireframe, texture flats, HP? would be good to see.
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    That is some cool Sci-Fi wall, did you bake it? I agree with BreaK, Could be nice to see the high poly version.

Good work anyways!
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha sorry guys, was away for a bit. hahahah was planning on glazing over the oversharpened madness. it was an accident and it was only on the final tga file. was experimenting with the unsharp mask. as you can see in this shot i'm still using the same diffuse texture while i get the other parts done. ok ill get WF and flats for you tomorrow. i'm up early. for now this is some of the other stuff thats in the set. if you look at the walls in the battlescape of ufo i took the wall design directly from it, so if it looks simple that's why. don't worry though its going to get done up more with a high poly bake and some cool detailing.

for now, this is the pillar type section and the flat wall section.

WALLAGE.jpg

Alas mayas viewport isnt great at putting out LP shots and i always think that faffing with UDK at this stage is time better spent fixing the thing :P so yes. flats etc tomorrow scouts honour (hopefuly)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually having said that. Is there a wise soul out there with any tips on getting the maya viewport to look better? I have it set to high quality rendering. But obviously you don't get shadows etc with that. Is there anything like a realtime shader that looks good and isn't mindbendingly hard to get working?
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum wrote: »
    Actually having said that. Is there a wise soul out there with any tips on getting the maya viewport to look better? I have it set to high quality rendering. But obviously you don't get shadows etc with that. Is there anything like a realtime shader that looks good and isn't mindbendingly hard to get working?

Wondering about that as well. There's xoliul shader which is awesome but only for 3dmax. No love for Maya ):
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok im just sorting out WF etc now... and breaK to answer your question its all baked from a high poly... id lover to use Ndo. but it refuses to work for me :S
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok update time. i have here the requested list.. sort of.
    ill spost up links to the full texture files in a bit. so they dont just flood the page.

for now though.

wires
    Wires.jpeg
    High poly
    highpoly.jpg
    Textures
    maps001.jpg

i was going to add sots of the other wall section thats going quite nicely now. but maya crashed and i lost my rag. so some shogun total war should clear my head for a bit :P

PS::: you can see the parts of the textures that are still in progress. namely ATM removing the outlines of the floating geometry from the corners of those panels in the center..
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm silence. Cmon guys, there have got to be some points you can make.. I cant belive i have produced something so good that no one on polycount can find fult with it... Lol. I always get great feedback from you guys, stop holding out on me
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi man! its looking ok so far, if you want some feedback thens ill try and give you some and hopefully it will help.

First thing I would say is that the lowpoly geometry could be reduced down you have areas that could be chopped out and baked into the normals with a rethink of your High poly. The sections that stick out to me are the rivets (see paint over below)

4zf4U.jpg

Second thing I would say, is that in your spec there are scratches everywhere and this doesnt look realistic, I would recommend going back and rethinking the spec detail placement.Think about the objects function and location in the world? Where might it get work and scratched etc. It looks like a scratch brush has been used without much thought spend more time and think about where you are placing the details. You also need more range in your spec at the moment its very "flat" get more variation in it. Also the scratches on the edges dont match up very well with the geometry of the mesh.

Your normals are looking ok, You could add some post bake detail using Photoshop with something like nDo2. You could consider adding some extra surface details with it. Though thats entirely personal preference.

Diffuse looks a little blurry at the moment and lacks range. Again have a look at adding some surface detail you dont want represented in your spec. Think of small areas of dirt and grime and maybe some small scratches. Have a look at your AO use as at the moment its very heavy. Also consider rendering out a cavity map and layering that over the diffuse and alter as needed this can be reused in the spec as well to add some "pop" to it. Ive found that this can help define areas on the texture

Hope this helps man its look ok so far, spend some more time on it and you could have it looking really cool!

Good Luck!
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's a great reply,thanks.

Yeh I have to hold my hands up, I definately could have taken longer optimising the low poly ill take some time and work on that a bit more.

Ha! I knew someone would pick me up on the spec map. Yeh they are definately my biggest weakness. Ill give it a fresh shot 'from scratch' (pun intended) tonight lol.

As for the normals I was thinkinf of adding some surface buckle to the panels as well as some dings in cirtain places. What sort of extra details were you thinking?

I knew I'd miss something. The cavity map thing. Do you think you could show me an example of what you mean.. And how do you think I could improve the depth of the diffuse? Do you mean more colours or higher contrast?
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm. i have been playing with the diffuse but i really cant get at anything to improve it... i just cant think of a productive way to improve it :( i have... erm... textural block :P
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok. after alot of messinout and rethinking things, i have finally reached a sort of phase 2. i junked the origional asset, partially. as i think i have found a much more comfortable vein to follow.. i have yet to settle with the colours etc. and the spec map is still placeholder but the normals seem to have come our well. (all in NDO2) im still not messing with advanced normals in Ndo, although ill see how i go from here. let me know if you think this is a step up or down :P

try2.jpg

::BTW the big void at the bottom is where i will have some cables/pipes running. i want to make them as props rather than part of the mesh its self.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol ill continue to post even if people dont want to play along :P

slight update. looking like the textures are not TOO repetitive. im liking the orange in there. what do you guys think?

mapping.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like orange on grey but that orange just seems to fluro to me and the walls look a little more blue then grey so it feels off. Can you get a closer screen grab like above ?
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh I know what you mean about the orange. I think I was suffering from a combo of. Its really late and having looked at it for too long. Ill post up a closer shot as is and another with a less vibrant orange

I'm not sure about the blue. It COULD be in the diffuse. As I did add a little extra blue to the colour. But there is also a blue light which might be part of it. Ill see when I get in

Thanks for the comments :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    it doesn't look blueish, orange certainly is too bright though.

the whole wall feels a bit matte, it would be good to give different materials different properties. for example the plates around the orange stripe seem more metallic so they could use stronger highlights.

also, that normal map pattern doesn't go well with black/yellow stripe pattern.
    the right side has lines going against each other and left side has parallel lines. it creates a chaotic design imo.

are you planning to make some environment using those modules?
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh. I know that you mean about the hazard stripes. I was contemplating just using the black and yellow on alternate plates.. Ill see I still have a few ideas..

And yeh I will be. I just want to get the feel right in my head so I can go ahead with planning it out. It'll be how I lay out my old xcom base :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok.. moar updates!! :P

what do you think of the hex pattern? it actually came to me by accident :P turned on the wrong layers at the right time and i got the idea from there.

moretesting.jpg

ok so to prevent over padding my own thread i have just slapped this onto my last post. having added the floor tiles i realised i needed some geometry to define that butress type bit at the bottom. now you can see the parts im working on... the yellow is a trim that will have a drain like thing and a service/maintainance duct running down it... (itll make more sense later) the blue is obviously the main floortile shape. i got the idea for it from the underground, we will see where that takes us.
    scene001.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... yes thats right. it evoled again! i feel like im sitting on the way i want this to go. i had a total rethink, and mapped out the level.

i figured i would post uo the first in progress asset. i swear this will progress beyond just one asset. i just needed to settle into a style i liked.

sooo, here is.. a pillar!! WOOO

Pillar.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, more updates, lol sorry if you guys felt i ignored your advice before. i feel kinda like im brainstorming in 3D with this. im really getting a good feel from what im working on at the moment. what do you think?

X-combase001.jpg