Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Island Beach Environment

Looking for some crits on this, as harsh as possible.I would like to go for crysys-like look for it.
Any tips on how i could sculpt some normals in Mudbox for my rock texture? Right now i got some poor diffuse-converted normals, want something a little bit more stylized for the rocks.
wip37.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Phillip K has a great rock tut!

http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_rocks/modular_rocks.html

What is this in? Is it in an engine? I think you need a focal point, it looks a bit empty atm.

EDIT I saw looked at the thread title again! You should get some vertex painting on the sand, mix it up a little!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Have you checked out the polycount wiki? There is a LOT of awesome tuts and other great stuff in there. You should check out this thread ^.^

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62114&page=3 (Edit: Woops, wrong link. Can't find the one I had in mind. but the member above me has a great link too! Sorry!)

Oh, and it's looking good. Just keep at it!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Thanks for the links but i've checked the wiki several times and google too, there are some nice tutorials out there but not a lot regarding Mudbox.
    What i would really like to know is how to Sculpt a Normal map for a 1024x1024 Diffuse so that the cracks and bumps in the sculpt will match the ones in the diffuse, (i'm not interested in modelling modular pieces). I guess usually the process goes the other way around, like you sculpt your rocks and then you create the diffuse accordingly, but if i sculpt from my head i get either flat surface, or a bumpy surface but none seem to fit the texture you see above.

SaferDan: the sand is a terrain actor atm, and i already updated its textures just didn't got the time to rebuild the lights.
    Thanks!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    After i add my third (3'd) material to my Terrain it all "goes to hell" a lot of weird artifacts appear and I can't paint on some of the layers, works just fine with 2 materials. Also my top layer (the one with my dry sand) is working as a HeightMap layer instead of a material layer. So how can i fix this?
    clipboard01oz.jpgclipboard02jsz.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure if landscape or terrain, terrain: use no more than 13 texture samplers all materials mixed across one terrain.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    hmm, yeah its Terrain and i forgot about that, didn't thought it reaches the texture limit, let me check.
    Thanks!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I manually placed some rock static meshes around and some of them have a darker shadow area, the same with the palm trees, why is that so dark and why does it manifest only on some meshes?
    The objects are inside an Lightmass Importance volume with a Directional light lighting the scene and the lightning was built on medium.
    wip40.jpg
    Thanks!!!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Make sure to blend the edges better ie where the terrain meets the rock, make it slope up a little bit into the rock and place bushes and other things to break up the lines.

- Bigger rock breaks up into smaller rocks etc.
    - Breakup cliff-line with rocks and bushes
    - Blend rocks with a nice gravelly texture that also blends well with the grass texture.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I'd use more blue in the environmental lighting to give some contrast between shaded and sunny areas.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    That's just a test scene, what i really want to know right now is why some rocks are darker and why some are lighter? its the same mesh. I will look into the UV's, maybe that has something to do with it.
    Thanks anyways!