Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swamp/forest UDK environment WIP

Hi all

I'm working on a small environment to go in UDK. The scene is a mossy woodland or slightly swampy area. Whilst it will be playable there won't be any gameplay as such, it's mostly just to show off the environment.

The scene will consist of a hut, some rocks/boulders, a few ruined stone walls, a gate and a few trees. The style is realistic, with signs of age on all the assets, moss will have grown on everything.

Below are a few images of where I am so far. I will be updating this regularly as I'm almost finished at uni and this is one of the final projects.

Any feedback would be welcome, thanks.

(everything is rendered in Marmoset)

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture6.JPGCapture7.JPG

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Like the log cabin. Be sure to blockout in UDK before getting too far with details
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I'm liking it so far, although I agree with Chris. You should probably start/show a blockout before getting lost in the detail.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I love the texturing on the rock. Very practical in the industry.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, go on.
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I will get onto that. I'm still learning UDK, I will prioritize creating a block out and get it up on here as soon as possible.
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished a wall, the first in a series of them however first I will be doing UDK boxing.

Capture8.JPG
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    What method did you use to texture that wall?

TIling textures?
    Vertext painting?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Why does that last rock look like someones backside?

As for what everyone says, I have to agree. I started off making a few buildings and importing them in UDK and I felt things were slow for a while because instead of blocking it all out I did each piece one by one. Eventually things changed drastically and now I have to remake it all.
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Habboi wrote: »
    Why does that last rock look like someones backside?

As for what everyone says, I have to agree. I started off making a few buildings and importing them in UDK and I felt things were slow for a while because instead of blocking it all out I did each piece one by one. Eventually things changed drastically and now I have to remake it all.

where do you usually do the blockout? in the game-engine itself, or in the 3d software (3ds max etc)?

I started a project, did the blockout in 3ds max using the normal scales for the cryengine (1 unit= 1 meter) and then when I exported it all to the cryengine it seemed everything too small for the player...

Sorry for spamming your thread Finalstraw
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It depends on the situation. Like if I'm unsure which direction I'm taking or whether I'm replicating a reference/concept or just doodling an idea.

Basically I'll mash up some models in Max, nothing too fancy and import them into UDK and mess around with it. A lot of the design direction comes when I decide if I'm going for realism or stylism and from there I'll tweak the lighting and decide on a time of day.

Really from there it's just back and forth from Max to UDK and constructing whatever it is I have in my head or reference. I'm always constantly tweaking the lighting because the lighting "defines" the entire direction of your static meshes and materials. It's no good have a rim shader and a high spec if you're using a light style that adds bloom to anything with white.

As for scale, I'm not sure about Cryengine but for UDK it's something like 2cm per 1 unit. Don't quote me on that, I have it stored in my settings. So I'd google up Cryengine units.
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11

I have simply unwrapped in max and textured in Photoshop, so it will have a unique texture. I realize this may not be the most efficient way to texture a wall, however I was using it practice unwrapping (the end stones in particular).

Habboi

I agree, I have been careful to make sure I keep the project scoped so it is achievable in UDK, however I should have got onto blocking out first. Also your method of blocking out is useful thank you.

a-k-m

Don't worry about it, it is something I was wondering in fact, as I have always blocked out in max. However I was interested in doing it in UDK using BSPs for some of the blockout.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I love the log cabin. :)
    It might be cool to add some relief to the tiles, just to mix it up a little and give it some variation.
    Also, I would recommend changing the sky light to something more directional. The Dawn setting is very ambient and doesnt show normals or specular very well.

Using a floor plane would help sell that shot more too :)
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that took longer than expected. I got caught up with other university projects, so I apologise for the late reply.

Here are some images of the blockout in UDK.

A few things to note...

The trees will have full foliage on them, that is merely the trunk and main limbs of the tree so far.

The blocks near the pool will be wall, and the tree in between them will have taken out some of the surrounding wall, as can be seen in the wall above.

The surrounding rock area is made up of a rock from UDK, don't worry it will be replaced with my own surrounding wall as the scene should show a lowered part of a wooded area, with raised rock walls and shrubs/vines hanging down.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for the level. Still a lot of work to do.

Any feedback would be welcom, even at this late stage in my uni year I still plan on working on this once I have finished.

udk1.JPGudk2.JPGudk3.JPGudk4.JPGudk5.JPGudk6.JPG
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good lord at the god rays...see what I did there?
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are rather extreme aren't they.

(Tones them down a lot)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The assets are good.

The lighting however, needs quite a bit of work. Shadows are not that dark with that kind of lighting. I would look at some reference images of lighting. (But be aware some pictures have distorted lighting, either underexposed or overexposed)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much are you doing for inside of the cabin? If it's just a bed I'm not sure if I'd include the shots or spend the time on it. Overall the strongest thing so far for me is the composition of these shots, especially the first one. I'm not sure what style/effect your aiming for in the end, but so far things are looking too washed-out in my opinion - I'd really want to make this quite rich and crank up the contrast.

Also you have god rays forming thin air. That shit be Godly.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Promising start! I agree with Tobbo, the lighting is really off. Your shadows are basically black, as though you have no indirect light and in outdoor/daylight scenes there is usually a LOT of indirect light.

You may also want to consider revisiting your tree, the vertex normals are making the leaves look super planar and you also have some super huge leaves and a lot of really tiny leaves.

As a general suggestion, when making trees I'd try to make them a bit more asymmetrical so that it's less obviously repetitive. And you should avoid making your leaf density too thick, it's really important with foliage to be able to see through the tree in areas where there aren't as many leaves.

When you make a tree too symmetrical and your leaves are too dense then you end up with a broccoli tree which is pretty much what you have.

It'd also be good if you varried the height of your objects more. Everything is pretty much uniform in size, cliffs in the background are all the same height, trees are all the same size, rocks are all the same size....
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!
    Thank you very much for all your comments so far. I've toned the lighting down, and tried to cut down on some of the god rays. I've also added some assets, bits and pieces and looking at final composition shots. Let me know your thoughts if you can , cheers!

1%20%282%29.JPG2%20%282%29.JPG3%20%282%29.JPG4.JPG
  • Finalstraw
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this is looking really cool. I still don't get some of the god rays, On the second to last image in your second to last post, there are god rays beaming onto the cabin directly from above.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You should tweak the normals on the tree leaf clusters.
    There are some max scripts in: UDK\Binaries\SpeedTreeModeler\Scripts\3ds Max
    The mesh utility script does a similar thing as the normal thief script, except that it's faster.