Home Unreal Engine

Murky Water

I'm Trying to figure out how to make a large bode of Murky water for a swamp scene I'm working on. At the moment it just looks like a layer of black Fog, So I was hoping I could get some suggestions.

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The most grabbing issue is that it is black. Unless the water is carrying something like a vast quantity of silt or ash, it is never black. Murky water tends to have a fairly bright, pale colour as light is largely reflected off the near-surface rather than "lost" thanks to diffraction / diffusion and whatever else at depth.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I suggest sprinkling on some moss around the parts where you used the DepthBias...also, if possible, try putting in a mesh with a fake fog under the surface, or use fog directly.

As Amber said, Water doesn't really get black unless you're living in Springfield and are working for Mr. Burns.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    No reflections. No matter what the color of the water itself, the most important visual is the reflections. I'd definitely try to get that right first.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Absolutely - even murky water is quite reflective.
  • Donjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished this a couple of weeks ago. If you want, I'll share the shader layout with you.

waterpreview-png.193
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    That's a pretty neat muddy water effect, Donjoe. I'd definitely be interested in taking a peek at the shader layout if you don't mind. :D
  • Donjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, ofcourse not. This is based of Hywel Thomas' true depth fog tutorial and I believe hourence's tutorial for water. It's a little heavy on the instruction side, but we're running it in a project we're working on, so far with quite acceptable results. Please note I have some parameters in there, since I'll usually instance it out to get the esthetics right, then replace them with constants (I have no real need for instanced materials in this particular project).

Please note that I'm using a cubemap for the reflection. If you want values, let me know, but as with any water material, you'll have to tweak it to look good.

I've thought about doing a panning texture for the water color in the past, but decided against this for my purposes; I got the look I wanted. Still, if you're going for dense muddiness, you could definately go that route.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    A little late I know (got sidetracked quite a bit), but thanks a bunch Donjoe. Can't wait to play around with this. :)