Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Staf Uni- T-Rex/Godzilla Creature

I know the title seems a bit hazy but for my module at University we are required to re create a Dinosaur and of course Godzilla is a mutated reptile so the only way I could do Godzilla is by basing him of a T-Rex ;)

base2.jpg

I started with this very very basic base mesh and sculpted from there

progress1-1.jpg

side

progress3-1.jpg

Front

progress2-2.jpg

3/4

430085_10150664314013659_612118658_10971896_1296794016_n.jpg

this was a little bit more progress before i add in the back spikes, teeth and claws :)

development.jpg

just a quick before and after how I have developed the creature

analysisofgodzilla.jpg

I found that by looking at different images of the monster from the 1998 film I could create a more accurate looking monster

godzillawip2.jpg

as it currently stands with no surface detail

texturingprgress.jpg

progress-1.jpg

and this is where I am up to at the moment and feedback will be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Replies

• Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I think the tail should be longer to counter all that frontal weight and the huge horn sticking out of his shoulder looks a bit odd because like a tree or tooth it needs roots which would have to sink into the creatures shoulder and I don't see much room for that considering it needs to store the shoulder muscles.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa- I feel like you got a little ahead of yourself :P. The proportions and general rhythm of the character's form's seem really stiff. Its always good to make your characters look at ease, or posed naturally as any stiffness will show through in the final result. Also, Its always good to work from large details > medium details > to small details. One reason for this is thats how the human brain recognizes and perceives shapes;

large forms > Primary silhouette
    medium forms > Internal volumes: Musculature, Material differentiation
    small forms > surface details: scales, dry and cracked,

Try to make each pass look good before moving onto the next stage in detail.

I feel like you jumped too quickly onto the smaller details, before sorting out your larger forms, making it so that no matter how awesome your detail sculpting is, the underlying forms are still problematic.

The balance of the shapes are all off too. Visual weight is hugely important. The character in question should be able to sustain its own weight, and right now it looks as if it would fall forward. This would have been a good thing to fix in the initial "large form" stage.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    Ace !! thanks alot guys i'm going to re - work him to try and create this balance. yeah i may have jumped the gun that's due to deadlines :( everythin you both have said will be taken into account in the next post thanks again guys :)
  • wolfonthehorizon
    Ok thanks to that great feedback ive made some changes :)

Godzilla has been on a diet, ive made the head smaller, extended the tail and changed the posture, and made the shoulders abit bigger to support the spikes

beforeandafter.jpg

anything else that would help impove my work im all ears ... well eyes XD
  • wolfonthehorizon
    godzilla1.jpg

also made the chest abit smaller :)
  • wolfonthehorizon
    sculpt done :)
    could work and re work forever but deadlines are closing in fast so this will have to do. next retopology

finalsculpt.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hes quite "tubey" or "squared" maybe working on the organic forms will help.
  • MonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's improving nicely. I have a small problem with the feet. It doesn't look like the weight is planted. It could be the muscles on the thighs, but also the small and squarish feet.
  • MonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just looked at your reference again, and it has a slightly pronounced heel, which would support the leg.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I can tell that you are working with way to high of a subdivision. You need to start really low, and keep working the form. It feels really mushy, there don't seem to be the pronounce boney landmarks there should be. Also the spike placement is too haphazard. You need to work out the underlying structure, and have them coming out where bones would naturally be. I would go down to the lowest sub division and just work it till it looks good and post that here. Then we can help guide you forward. Keep working on it and do not get discouraged.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    I know its broken and I really could and should spend time fixing it but uni is a heartless bitch so forward I must go !!! now my re topology skills are shocking at best so I really need you guys critique to improve

retop.jpg

2-3.jpg

this is me so far, this will be going into UDK with a small animation, so if ive missed animation loops kick my ass !!!! thanks guys XD
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is barely any consideration for topology here.. What did you use to retop? your low res mesh is fairly dense as well!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    The following is going to sound harsh but I mean nothing personal.
    what is the point of this assignment? To recreate a dinosaur or just do whatever you want? Personally, if I was your instructor,I would feel like you're copping out by doing Godzilla. Additionally It feels like you aren't really using any actual skeletal/muscular reference from a trex or other similar creatures. The lack of posture and weight feels like you arent using any real world reference such as large birds. This is compounded as well when you were critiqued on such things and you wrote it off as having "deadlines" but you were able to add in awesome shoulder spikes and gather movie reference. Could have taken this time to google; trex anatomy, trex topology, dinosaur anatomy/muscles. Your basemesh feels sloppy with little attention payed to modeling or basemesh theories and could have addressed some of the before mentioned anatomy issues in this stage. Did an instructor/someone critique this stage ? The sculpt itself is lacking cohesiveness between the large,medium and small details. The forms feel rushed, like you are just putting marks where you think they should go rather than looking into the appropriate reference. The retopo is unnecessarily dense and lacks edgeflow. Again a little research here wouldnt hurt. Overall it feels like you are "hearing" the critiques but not really listening.

Again, no malice meant, I just think you could have created a better product and learned more if you'd have put more thought into it.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    there is only one thing for it ... back to square one and to do things properly, I appreciate everyone who has tried to help up to now and thanks Dan for your honesty,

ok right ..

anatomy, ive looked at some t rex references and my first goal is to block in some of this anatomy

Rexanatomy1.jpg
    41z6JwUxIkL_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    2009_0222TREX-SCULPT0075.jpg

heres me so far

anat2.jpg

anat.jpg
  • wolfonthehorizon
    moodboard-3.jpg

the goal is to translate some of Godzillas features onto the main anatomy of a t-rex, im going to look at the skeletal structure of the t -rex and look for logical places for those spikes
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    It looks like a screwed up lizard man... Drop your brush intensity an start fine sculpting the proportions first, not the details. Get the masses sorted out and then start on the details.

The anatomy differences between a t-rex and godzilla are massively different if you look at them and compare them.

Shoulders are a prime key where you keeping skiwing it, Zilla has human like shoulders while a t-rex's is underdeveloped. The neck spine tail and legs are are all massively different too. You should have really started with sketches of what you want to achieve. Draw up some concept work and go from there. Right now your swinging in the dark.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    That dino has been on the 'roids, man! He looks like he's about to enter the dino weightlifting championship at the moment.

Try smoothing out some of those muscles. Look at the reference above those 2 zbrush sculpt images you posted; the muscles lay underneath the skin and are actually not very distinct, but they make up the form of the dinosaur and give it it's bulk.
  • JasperHope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you at Staffordshire Uni? I might be going there at the end of the year...

Anyway I can't stop thinking how this creature would just fall flat on its face if it was real. It wouldn't surely balance would it? :)

It's looking good so far but I think you need to work on the anatomy a little, and lay off the detailing until you've finished the topology of each geometry level.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    JasperHope wrote: »
    Are you at Staffordshire Uni? I might be going there at the end of the year...

I wouldn't bother.

But onto the dino, it looks like you have a pretty bad base mesh, doesn't smooth very well and looks like it has loads of uneven poly distribution.

You should make a newer basic basemesh that divides all sexy like and see how much easier sculpting it is, also you seem to be going up in subdivisons too fast which is why everything looks a bit blobby.