Home Technical Talk

3D Environment design for games

Hi I am a 3D animation student and was wondering what techniques and skills are important when it comes to modelling 3D environments for games. I know low poly modelling is very important, would just like to know what other strengths would be required. Alos is there work for me out there solely as a modeller if my texturing skills aren't very good?

Thanks

Replies

• Giant Bwomp
    Generally your not going to find a job as just a modeler unless you are incredible at high poly modeling. And I mean absolutely incredible.

So High poly - > Low poly -> UV Unwrapping -> Texturing is the basic flow in most cases.

Being able to work well off other peoples concepts and making your own concepts if necessary.

If you're not good at texturing now just keep at it, if you work hard enough you will get there and there is some fantastic reference in the polycount wiki.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    UV mapping, texturing, high poly and/or subdiv modeling, baking, working with modular sets, getting stuff to look correct and good material definition in game engines.