Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Rundown Office

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Linkitch polycounter lvl 13
I've begun working on a small project, where I aim to learn and utilize as many of my skills as I can, while ending up with a solid Portfolio piece.

The main focus for me, is to learn to think like an environmental artist, and create assets that could be used by a level designer to create a scene.

I'm using the following image as my main source of inspiration.
gYdWk.jpg
Credit to Artyom Vlaskin

All that being said, I could use a few suggestions and pointers from people who have experience with working as an environmental artist.

-How would you go about tackling a project like this?
Begin modelling and not stop until all the pieces are created.
Or take assets individually and get it to about 90% done before proceeding to the next?

I created this asset list for myself, is it a good way of organizing everything?

-How much of what is in that scene, would you make a high poly model and bake normal maps for?
By my own research it doesn't appear to be that many things in the majority of games, that actually gets that kind of treatment.
So for now, I've only planned out a few models where I've deemed it necessary to actually bake normal maps. I think I can mostly get away with just creating normal map details afterwards with programs such as nDo2.

For the things I've already created and modelled, I concluded that I will simply chamfer edges where I think it's necessary, rather than create it as a normal map. An example would be a part of the desk:
qWCZ6.jpg

For the most part I've also unwrapped so that almost everything on the model gets unique UV space. Primarily so that I can go in and bake an AO pass down into the diffuse.

My progress so far:
zBHOo.jpg

Replies

• PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good so far. Get everything blocked out with just a swatch texture on first, to get an idea for colour, then go in and detail everything.

Not everything has to be unique on the diffuse. Some stuff would benefit from a tiling texture, such as certain parts of the desk. Entirely up to you though, it's your scene!

Get it in UDK or an engine to test scale!
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Whoooo, you go girl!

Gonna be interesting to see your progress and process!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    any reason you did the floor that way? no need to model out the tiles. just make that section a tiled texture and the trim a seperate tiled texture.

as for your desk.. you can still have a normal map that helps bevel the edges, just make it tileable. This scene is about 70% tileable textures.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    any reason you did the floor that way? no need to model out the tiles. just make that section a tiled texture and the trim a seperate tiled texture.

as for your desk.. you can still have a normal map that helps bevel the edges, just make it tileable. This scene is about 70% tileable textures.
    Yes I actually forgot to mention that.

I plan to look into and experiment with vertex painting in UDK. So for example my floor texture, it's relatively clean as the base, but I want to vertex paint cracks and dirt into it.

As for the giving the desk a bevel, do you have an example of how to do that? Not quite sure how I'd go about doing it.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ah ok, thats fine if you want to vertex paint in some detail. you might jsut think about cleaning up your trim toplogy then. you have a bunch of cuts that aren't connected and while it might not cause any issues, its just better to work cleaner with your polys. That way when you do paint you have an even, clean array of verts to paint with.

What I mean with the desk top is pretty simple. you can still make sculpts or high polys *ndo created ones too* that tile. the desk top would be easy to just create a model in max with a nice beveled edge *my example shows it smooth sorry*.

you could take that into zbrush or photoshop and add some dings or other details you'd see on a stone desktop. atleast it looks like a stone. make sense?

edge_example.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    that is an awesome piece of concept art, sorry to offer nothing else, but it has to be said
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update!

Almost done with modeling all the assets. And I've gotten most of what I've created into UDK.
    I think I'm going to be working on creating textures and materials, just to get a better overall feel of the scene.

2j3v0.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    awesome. thats definitely one of my favorites from Artyom.

as of now it seems like youve got slightly too much space between the pillar and the desk, and i would maybe darken and slightly desaturate those red tiles. they seem a bit oversaturated at the moment.

looking forward to more of this
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    awesome. thats definitely one of my favorites from Artyom.

as of now it seems like youve got slightly too much space between the pillar and the desk, and i would maybe darken and slightly desaturate those red tiles. they seem a bit oversaturated at the moment.

looking forward to more of this
    Yeah I see the desk distance is a bit off. I'll look into that.

And the red tiles I'm not satisfied with, they are still being heavily tested since I'm having some problems with the normals. But no need to go into that in this thread.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still very much testing things out, especially the vertex painting. Gotten some base textures applied, added a few more assets and fixed the distance between the counter and pillar.

Now that I've added base textures to things such as the wood, what would be the "best" approach to making things a bit worn down? Vertex paiting stuff or simply making the texture dirty?

41I9f.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say it may be best to just make the textures a bit dirty. i dont see a big need for vertex paint on this. maybe some decals could do well..
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    If you actually are going to use vertex paint, i say switch out that tutorial textures you'r using. Either you have made them very similar to the shown by Virtuosic, or you've slapped them right in.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    If you actually are going to use vertex paint, i say switch out that tutorial textures you'r using. Either you have made them very similar to the shown by Virtuosic, or you've slapped them right in.
    Yes I do plan on doing that, it's just for testing purposes right now. I don't think they fit that well with the environment as is.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    By the way, if you still insisted on painting detail onto the scene, UDK now does per-pixel Texture Painting in a similar way to how it does Vertex Painting.

If I'm not mistaken, this would potentially allow someone to paint texture blend data even more accurate than Vertex Painting methods, as well as not needing the extra geometry resolution.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    By the way, if you still insisted on painting detail onto the scene, UDK now does per-pixel Texture Painting in a similar way to how it does Vertex Painting.

If I'm not mistaken, this would potentially allow someone to paint texture blend data even more accurate than Vertex Painting methods, as well as not needing the extra geometry resolution.
    Does this method only works on properly laid out UV's ?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Presumably, as the tool asks you to select a UV channel from the mesh before painting.
    So you could have a UV set for your normal tiling material and then a special unique one for the texture painting.

I haven't tried it out myself, but it appears to be the same as adding any other texture to your material setup. :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It doe require proper sets of UVs. You will need to import a blank or base texture before you start using it, then when you do use the tool, you will paint directly over this texture.
    SirCalalot wrote: »

That's correct, but for one omission - it does instead require an extra texture to do so (which instead results in more memory overhead).
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clearing that up @ambershee :)
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright latest update, I'm still messing around with the floor and walls, trying to make the textures look right, while also figuring out vertex painting.
    I think I'm going to focus on getting the last assets done first.
    After that I don't know what would be the best, to focus on finishing all the textures, and doing the lighting last?

I don't know what it is, if it's my lack of proper lighting or just the textures themselves. But I feel it's hard to make things look dirty without overdoing it. Take the wood for example, it looks fine in the actual texture, but I feel it doesn't look quite right in the engine.
    ibf3B.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when doing textures, you need to think about how the material physically looks, not just a flat texture itself. its lighting and material definition that sells the materials for what they really are. as of now all your materials are looking kind of bland with an even specular over everything. are you using any specific spec/gloss maps?
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    when doing textures, you need to think about how the material physically looks, not just a flat texture itself. its lighting and material definition that sells the materials for what they really are. as of now all your materials are looking kind of bland with an even specular over everything. are you using any specific spec/gloss maps?
    I've got unique Speculars for mostly everything. But I'm wondering if I'm just doing the specular power wrong, I've used the mesh viewer as the reference so far, but it seems like it's way off compared to how it looks in the editor window.

Eg. the wood material, it looks much better in the material editor.
    JoxG1.jpg
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a bigger update this time around. Finished modeling everything and imported it all into the scene.

And I feel like I've finally begun to understand how to go about using vertex color painting to my advantage.
    That being said I'm not entirely satisfied with my floor, I'm hoping once I figure out getting the reflections to work properly, that it will make it better.
    I also need to look into decals to just add a bit of papers and such to the floor.

I think I'm going to add vertex painting to the various Wooden surfaces, just to dirty them up.

HljNk.jpg
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Nice to see someone having the good taste of working on this lovely concept! :)

I would try to work some more on your lightning and really nail the feeling of the scene before starting to get to technical with the materials and etc. Because at the moment the scene really lacks from having really harsh shadows.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang wrote: »
    Nice to see someone having the good taste of working on this lovely concept! :)

I would try to work some more on your lightning and really nail the feeling of the scene before starting to get to technical with the materials and etc. Because at the moment the scene really lacks from having really harsh shadows.
    Got any tips on the lighting? I think that's one of my weakest points.

Any tutorials or reference pages that would be a good start?
    Eg. how do I get lightmap information and realtime shadows into the scene?
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I need some comments and critique, I feel like I'm pretty much done with the image.
    image09.png
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    nice but feels abit to clean to me!
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Compared to the concept, it still feels a little clean (like Samfisher84 mentioned) and colourful/saturated. Maybe save an alternate version and dirty it up more and even make the lighting a little more toned down.
  • OnionCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OnionCake polycounter lvl 6
    Nice Work !

A couple things:
    The wood feels like you've pushed the contrast too much. Your reference photo has much less intense wood. It would probably help if you color picked directly from the image and used those colors to texture your wood.

Too clean ! The walls are begging for some vertical run stains.

Once you get some more floaters in there for papers/such on the floor I think you'll be set. A good place for these would be under the clip-board, being a logical place for their origin.
    Great work so far !
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with everyone else that it's still a bit clean.

- Your cracks don't really feel like cracks. Try darkening them and using a stronger normal.

- Darken the lighting. That will definitely help sell the rundown feel.

- Throw some more debris on the ground. More papers, maybe something knocked over, or even piles of dirt.

- Some water stains running down from the ceiling would look cool too

It looks like it hasn't been taken care of lately, but I think you can push it even more! Keep it up though!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try toning down the Ambient Occlusion in the scene, I think it's far too heavy as is.

Your lighting is a bit too simplistic at the moment too. Perhaps having a knocked-over desk lamp behind the counter, or some busted light fittings hanging from the ceiling would help?

It's looking sweet so far though! :D
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I fixed a number of things and I think I've pretty much done what I wanted to accomplish with the scene. So for me this is the final image:

image10.png