Home Technical Talk

Sculpt based on UVs, zbrush?

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hey guys,
So, I'm working on a tree right now. The bark is all a photo-sourced texture at this point, but I'd rather sculpt it. But, of course, I don't want it all to be unique, from the roots to the tallest branches. So I was wondering, is there a way, when sculpting, to have it automatically transfer the sculpting in one spot, to anywhere else that shares the same UV space? Say 2 UV shells are overlapping, and I want to have the sculpt be the same for both, is there an easy way to do this in Zbrush?

Here's a picture, if I'm being ridiculously unclear:
BarkAndUV.JPG

The top half, or so, is tiling to the top of the tree- and the moss is only used in the bottom segment of the tree.
As seen here:
yttr.JPG

So yes, I'd like to sculpt the mossy area, and one section of bark, and have it tile in real time in Zbrush. Is it possible?
Thanks guys!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't know about a direct transfer, but you could probably work something out with displacement maps.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    True, or even using a wrap modifier for the brush, but those are workarounds that really aren't what I'm looking for. I'll probably end up just doing it on a plane, and recreating a plane that looks something like the texture I posted. It'll work, but it seems like there must be a better way.