Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Character Model

Hi everyone, I've been working on a 3D model for a uni assignment.This is progress so far, essentially a base mesh ready to be taken into Zbrush. As this is my first time modelling a full character, hearing feedback from more experienced and skilled artists would be awesome. Thanks

[IMG][/img]render1.jpg

[IMG][/img]footrender.jpg

[IMG][/img]handren.jpg

[IMG][/img]heandren.jpg

Replies

• krimzondestiny
    Well, the first thing that sticks out to me is the number of polygons you put into this mesh if you're going to place it into Zbrush. What exactly is your process?

From a figure sculpting standpoint, the front silhouette looks pretty good, but her profile is awkward. Her torso is elongated. I would shorten it, and then subsequently shorten the arms a bit. Also, the front of the rib cage extends forward a bit too far. I would bring it back a bit.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I think it might be worth running a polygon relax feature in your respective 3D modelling program. Right now there are areas around the mouth/lips and under the nose where the polygons are too rectangular. Its easier to sculpt with polygons that are as equilateral as possible and they deform better when subdivided.

Whilst its still important, usually I don't worry about proportions too much in this stage as I find its much faster and easier to move polygons around in ZBrush and correct any proportion issues there. However, the downside to this of course is that you can sometimes end up stretching/compressing polygons too much so sometimes it can be a case of flipping back and forth between ZBrush and your other 3D program, adding or removing polygons as you need to and then continuing to fix your silhouette.

Good luck mate :).
  • krimzondestiny
    ...in this stage as I find its much faster and easier to move polygons around in ZBrush and correct any proportion issues there.

I agree,that's why I inquired about his process. But, since he obviously spent a bit of time modeling in a separate package, I figured he was doing it for a reason.
  • Johnny-John
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply guys, I'll try to optimise tidy the mesh before taking it further . I was planning on sculpting more intricate details in zbrush and then retopologizing for a in game mesh to be normal mapped and textured, the reason the base mesh is so detailed is mainly due to brief requirements of the assignment but also due to my poor knowledge of anatomy. Nice one for the anatomy tips I can see the issues now that you've pointed them out, and I think faster and better work flow should definitely be done in future.
  • Johnny-John
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly has been a while since the last post, progress on the Zbrush sculpt. Feedback would be great, Thanks

sculpt1.jpg

headsculpt.jpg

handsculpt.jpg

footsculpts.jpg

bodysculpt.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad - I can tell you've been paying attention to reference which is half the battle.
    you should be spending more time working on the overal form and gesture, rather than detailing with things like skin folds. for example, the hand looks alright from the top/bottom, but from the side I can see that its not looking right.
    additionally, widen the ribcage around the chest/boobies area, especially under the arms in the back.

lastly, in your post about the base mesh you said that you made it high-res because of you're lack of knowledge of anatomy. this seems backwards to me, as in my experience its more important to give yourself the ability to adapt your mesh to critiques and anatomical changes in Zbrush by having a lowres basemesh that can be easily tweaked at the lowest Sub-D level.

hope I dont come off too harsh I do think you've shown some good observation skills in the knees and hands.

keep it up
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Start slowly are interested in this.www.cleaningcassette.com