Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mayan_Temple [UDK]

I am creating this scene for my Advanced Modeling Class.

The purpose of this project is to get a grasp on organic modeling and texturing.

I am using 3dsmax, Zbrush, and Photoshop.

Blockout:
Duong_Mayan_UDK_Render_1.jpg

Current Progress:
Duong_Mayan_UDK_Render_7.jpg

Reference:
mayan_quarter_shot.jpg

Zbrush Sculpt:
Wall_Stone_High_Poly_Render.jpg

Low Poly:
Wall_Stone_Low_Poly_Render.jpg

Zbrush Sculpt:
Wall_Column_High_Poly_Render.jpg

Low Poly:
Wall_Column_Low_Poly_Render.jpg

Zbrush Sculpt:
Wall_Filler_1_High_Poly_Render.jpg

Low Poly:
Wall_Corner_Filler_1_Low_Poly_Render.jpg

Zbrush Sculpt:
Wall_Corner_Filler_1_High_Poly_Render.jpg

Low Poly:
Wall_Corner_Filler_1_Low_Poly_Render.jpg

Replies

• GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    This is a neat scene so far, I'm loving your Zbrush sculpts.

I can't wait to see the bakes onto the low polys, keep it up!
  • Helba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the detail sculpt seems non uniform, streched and blurred in some points, I suggest you use the dinamesh after the first steps to standardize the size of the polygons, and have the same level of detail
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i disagree with Helba. i dont think they're stretched or blurred at all. (these spoiled kids nowadays with their fancy dynamesh.. psh!) the sculpts are coming along great BUT i think that you could benefit greatly from not using a standard noise brush. i would grab some alphas with unique details (plenty on pixologic.com) and drag those out in projection master to get some really nice looking non-algorithmic details.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    You may want to use some more polygons on the more curved/rounded edges of the low poly to make it match the hipoly more accurately. Those sharp 90 degree straight edges aren't going to do full justice to all the love that you gave them. The noise of the scuplts looks a bit patchy, you've got roughened and damaged faces right next to pristine flat surfaces. Just my two cents.

I like where this is going tho, nice work =]
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I really love your ZBrush work, and the building as a whole looks awesome so far!! Excited for progress :D
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool.

Did you bake your pieces already? Looks like you did in your first image.

I would like to see how the bakes came out!

One piece of advice I have for you is to maybe add a little more geo to your low poly models to reflect the changes you made in your sculpts. You have a lot of deep cuts and worn corners on your bricks that are going to look crappy on your bake.

For instance, on your last set, the deep cuts on the corner piece will look odd when you rotate around and its obviously a flat area, but if you cut in a little bit, the silhouette will better match the detail.
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with gsokol, you should definitely use more geo to show more silhouette and current gen demands chamfered/beveled edges. Keep it pushing this will look great
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things that I've made:

Duong_Mayan_Compilation.jpg

Duong_Mayan_Face_Compilation.jpg

Duong_Sacrficial_Altar.jpg

A tree I made.

Applied 3dmotive foliage tutorial by Damian Lazarski

Tree_A_UDK_1.jpg
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Project for my midterm

Applied 3Dmotive vertex painting tutorial by Ryan Smith

UDK_1.jpg

UDK_3.jpg

UDK_5.jpg

UDK_7.jpg

UDK_6.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hey :D I'm really digging your sculpts, i thought i would see some gold in those textrues though :D will you go back to it to work on it more?
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently trying to figure out how to get vertex painting to work with multiple materials. I'm not sure if it is even possible at the moment. I managed to get red on the temple stones and moss on the supporting structure, but it'd be nice if I could blend red paint, gold paint, and moss on everything. Would make the entire structure much more cohesive.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    @kevin. make an instance of your master vertex blending material and all your seperate materials would be an instance of that with different textures.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    yes you need to make a master material ^
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for showing the low poly walls before the zbrush sculpt...helped me understand that process :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    I am loving this Kevin! I recently came back from Mexico and visited Chichen Itza and your recreation is spot on. I agree with Oniram with the noise in some areas. But overall it's coming on very well so keep up the great work :)
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the responses guys.

Vertex_Painting_2.jpg

this is my master material and I have created instances. So you are saying that if i go into mesh paint and simply select a different instance that I will be able to apply my moss OVER my red paint layer? If so then I'm really stoked to hear that.

Vertex_Painting_1.jpg

I know I post really quickly on polycount and don't dive into depth on responses and updates, so I apologize for that.

Our class is already moving onto the next project which is a gun and is due in less than 3 weeks. So when I do find spare time, I am planning on polishing all my recent portfolio projects, this included.